AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2012, 07:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

How importatant is wine to the Linux community?

This question has come to me several times as I await the inclusion of wine into the new Mint 14.

I'm kind of surprised to find myself asking the question. But then I never expected to be looking at a new mint...that can't install wine, not any version of wine.

So while I wait for this slight over sight to be addressed I wondering... how important to the average Linux user is wine?

I went for years without even looking at wine... I really don't have much or any use for it outside of the Windoz games Boo and I are getting to run...

What do YOU use wine for? Do you use wine?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2012, 01:51 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I don't use it for much, other than GPU folding, but I do know quite a few people in the graphics business and it's often used for Photoshop and AutoCAD applications.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2012, 07:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In certain applications it is quite useful, as ThunderRd mentioned. But for the linux community at large? I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Most folks running linux are more interested in native applications than in some hacked-up bastardized 'almost-windows' work-alike.

Don't get me wrong, WINE is a neat bit of coding and definitely fills a gap, but the bottom line is that it is still a hack to make Windows apps work on a Linux system.
Old 22nd November, 2012, 08:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My total immersion in getting games to run in Linux theses last few weeks... well let's just say it snapped me back a bit to see Mint 14 show up without any provision for installing wine....seems more than a slight oversight!

Then I got to thinking about the last time I tried to use wine for games, tried early crossover as well...what a disaster! I'm just not very good at these things, but after weeks of trying I had exactly nothing that worked!

Except for games, I've never had the slightest interest in getting windows apps to run in Linux...I like Linux apps! and to be honest, I don't use very many apps and I use them in a completely repetitive way.

But some how in the back of my mind there was imaged a view of the Linux community that was as interested in getting games to run properly as Boo and I are.

Building momentum and all of that.

Then Mint 14, arguably the most game oriented of the Ubuntu tribe, shows up without provision for Wine. Which of course means no wine tricks, No Crossover, No PlayOnlinux, no windows games...

I was as surprised as I would be to see A new Windows without Direct X or anything to replace it.

I've looked a bit, but found no mention of wine or it's absence.

I check each day for THE update....wondering what goes on...?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 22nd November, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2012, 08:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Except for games, I've never had the slightest interest in getting windows apps to run in Linux...I like Linux apps! and to be honest, I don't use very many apps and I use them in a completely repetitive way.
This is the boat most Linux users are in: the fact is that for about 80% of the use cases out there, Linux works just fine: web browsing, email, some office productivity (basic spreadsheet stuff, some basic word doc stuff).

Linux is at the 'good enough' stage for most users ('most users' being your typical mom-and-pop type users or students; we aren't talking heavy-duty office work here). It's those corner cases that cause the heartburn: when someone sends you a spreadsheet that uses some weird excel function, or some strange word formatting. The thing is, I've seen a lot of situations where the failure to properly display was blamed on Open Office or Libre Office when in fact the document would fail to properly display in any version of Microsoft office other than the one it was created in.

For professional users, Linux still isn't there; a lot of professional apps simply aren't available on Linux, and their 'equivalents' on Linux leave a lot to be desired.

Gaming is another area where Linux just isn't up to scratch yet. There are a # of reasons for that but one of the biggest, to my understanding, is OpenGL. The performance issues and arcane rituals required to make code work are a real inhibitor.

Last edited by Gizmo; 22nd November, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 23rd November, 2012, 02:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I started with 13 games, I've gotten 9 of them to run very well. One runs well enough if your mad to play it. and 3 were a complete nothing.

I would doubt any game until I've installed it myself. Having Boo say it will go is a great indicator, but not a sure thing! And sometimes I will fail doing it boo's way which worked great on his Mint 13, but find another way is the only way for my Mint 13.

I can't afford a dozen brand new titles to see what kind of percentage I could get to pop.But there are a few more1st rate cheep'os being born everyday and I plan to get my share of the FPS' ers! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd November, 2012, 10:40 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
It's those corner cases that cause the heartburn: when someone sends you a spreadsheet that uses some weird excel function, or some strange word formatting. The thing is, I've seen a lot of situations where the failure to properly display was blamed on Open Office or Libre Office when in fact the document would fail to properly display in any version of Microsoft office other than the one it was created in.
I wrote my CV using Word a few years ago. I used the default formatting that was present in Word rather than anything fancy. Editing that document in Open Office, and then saving it left me with a document that was screwed formatting wise - particularly font sizing. Rather put me off trying to use it to be honest.
Old 23rd November, 2012, 06:13 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Well a glass every couple of weeks or boiled wine when I have a cold, thats about it. Regarding software I don't need wine, I am using the real thing!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th December, 2012, 10:37 PM
AOA Staff

You all have good points.
I agree with Gizmo about Linux in a professional environment. Its just not going to make it unless you start your company with Linux in the first place. Never going to happen.

I also agree with Daniel, there are a few of us who started with Windows and just want to move on...
If Linux has the capability to run our programs/games then its our only option.
So far Linux really DOES work as a Gaming/ Graphics/ Modeling environment at home.
All the standard Internet, email, Office and system tools work great out-of-the-box but I'm finding that a LOT of my games are working just fine.

It a no-brainer for me!
I will sacrifice a few games as long as most of my existing ones work... and they ARE!
I also prefer GIMP over Photoshop, Libre Office over Microsoft Office, Gmail over Outlook and so on

So Linux is turning out to be a pretty decent option for home use and Mint is proving that Windows standard users can move to it too.

About Wine? If it wasn't for my video game addiction, I would probably only use it for Sketchup and maybe Photoshop
But since I'm a gamer... Wine means everything in the world to me!
Hence all of my tutorials

By the way Daniel, I thought we figured out that your Mint 14 didn't launch Wine because your 32-bit libraries were not installed? Wine was always there but won't run in 64-bit environment...
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 4th December, 2012, 11:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Well a glass every couple of weeks or boiled wine when I have a cold, thats about it. Regarding software I don't need wine, I am using the real thing!
"Contrary to popular opinion people, Tequila is not good for your health."

As told to me one hundred times as I open Crysis 2 and play til it Cashes! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th December, 2012, 11:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
You all have good points.
I agree with Gizmo about Linux in a professional environment. Its just not going to make it unless you start your company with Linux in the first place. Never going to happen.

I also agree with Daniel, there are a few of us who started with Windows and just want to move on...
If Linux has the capability to run our programs/games then its our only option.
So far Linux really DOES work as a Gaming/ Graphics/ Modeling environment at home.
All the standard Internet, email, Office and system tools work great out-of-the-box but I'm finding that a LOT of my games are working just fine.

It a no-brainer for me!
I will sacrifice a few games as long as most of my existing ones work... and they ARE!
I also prefer GIMP over Photoshop, Libre Office over Microsoft Office, Gmail over Outlook and so on

So Linux is turning out to be a pretty decent option for home use and Mint is proving that Windows standard users can move to it too.

About Wine? If it wasn't for my video game addiction, I would probably only use it for Sketchup and maybe Photoshop
But since I'm a gamer... Wine means everything in the world to me!
Hence all of my tutorials

By the way Daniel, I thought we figured out that your Mint 14 didn't launch Wine because your 32-bit libraries were not installed? Wine was always there but won't run in 64-bit environment...
We do, but in this thread that hasn't happened yet. Set your chromator back before reading this thread.

( you can download one from System Updates, but it doesn't have a backwards function.... for backwards even die hard Linux fans still have to use Windoz 8.)
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur