AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS > Linux

Linux Questions and information concerning Linux

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th November, 2012, 12:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mint 14 Gold... it very well maybe, but I could just SCREAM!!

I'm posting from Mint 14 64 bit, Gold. It seems fine, only been up a hour at most, I just had to vent!! This is a post about stupid screwing up what is otherwise all right.

This is around my 5th or 6th attempt by way of DVD install and by way of Downloaded update/upgrade.

On previous DVD attempts I learned Icould easily get it to install...if I disconnected all other drives but the intended, other wise it would install fine, then forget how to install grub and none of the offered choices for grub were any where near good enough, certainly not the drive it just installed itself to!

So I learned how to please mint grub and there by moved forward! Now I can install and enjoy an endless loop of login screens, very reinforcing really. I give my name and password and Mint sounds a chime shows me a blank screen and and says hello what's your name?

I almost always get it right! ":O}

If you not familiar with Mint you may not know that Mint is more the color Mint as has flavors as well. Debian, Gnome, Maya and Cinnamon among them.

They all come ready to serve as interface with the basic Mint install. How much more difference between them beyond desktop appearance varies and I'm not the one to say.

So I'm sitting there as I often do in the evenings of late...practicing my name and password just to be near a 64 bit machine...

When I decide, what the hell I've never really tried the straight up Gnome offering why not try asking it to boot to that!? (I confess that I previously tried Cinnamon 2d, Maya and another, all failed by running and jumping into the login loop..

But not Gnome...Gnome was stand up! Gnome didn't need no estikin nvidia...

Oh no! Don't say it Dan, Don't say these dumb *&%(*(##^ actually gave you a Destro for Cinnamon Mint that can't load Cinnamon mint because it freaking needs Nvidia drivers to function. I just said it.

But Mint Like most of Linux is just to good for Nvidia and uses it's own drivers that can't even boot themselves let alone run a game!

Gnome can run on Linux drivers. Boot to Gnome, install Nvidia drivers and then you can boot to Cinnamon. Easy...they just didn't mention it up front. They just didn't mention it at the login screen. I'm wondering how they could not have known this?

Comments and sympathy welcome":O}
Attached Thumbnails
Mint 14 Gold... it very well maybe, but I could just SCREAM!!-screenshot-2012-11-27-15-44  
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th November, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2012, 11:14 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's nothing stopping you going to terminal mode and installing the nVidia drivers directly from there. This is what I've found about Linux - you've got to do a lot of looking after it for it to run well. An upgrade is rarely as simple as it should be, and you spent time running around trying to fix stuff that shouldn't have broken but did.

getting to terminal mode should be as simple as hitting <ALT>+<F1>. You'll need to log in. I don't know the command line syntax to install a new nVidia driver - it might be
  • apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

Last edited by Aedan; 28th November, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2012, 12:06 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I might be wrong but I remember you have a very new gfx card. I think it takes time with new hardware. I am pretty sure with older gfx card you don't have this mess.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 28th November, 2012, 01:19 PM

The Nouveau (open source) driver doesn't look to have much support for the 600 series yet. The nVidia driver is fine though.
Old 28th November, 2012, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I guess I wasn't clear. All my problems are over! Once I realized that I was having to eternally login, it clicked for me,

I Am logging in!!

It just can't boot Cinnamon without Nvidia drivers. it clicked when Gnome finally let me reach desktop and I saw it was using open source drivers. In the past Cinnamon would booth to 2d Cinnamon, they even have that option, which I tried. It can no longer do it, (I think they thought it could, but just guessing...)

Heres what I think they could have/should have done.

1 Blank out choices in the boot screen that it can't boot to without installing Nvidia drivers.

2. Have a note that says load Gnome to install drivers. Then boot Cinnamon.

3. Made it work without Nvidia drivers at lest until after updates.

4. Admit publicly that as good as Cinnamon is, it is worthless without Nvidia drivers and get it over with! Linux is dependent on hardware...get over it!!

Cinn. no longer can boot to 2d cinnamon as it did in the past without a fuss.

I realize I have a newish card, This is why I wanted a newish destro! The old Cinnamon could do this!! and did!!

But still.. I hadn't considered my card and I should have! Thanks Chris. I stupidly thought that if Mint 13 was now happy with my card Mint 14 would love it....Mostly it does, as it just can't run without it now!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th November, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 28th November, 2012, 07:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
There's nothing stopping you going to terminal mode and installing the nVidia drivers directly from there. This is what I've found about Linux - you've got to do a lot of looking after it for it to run well. An upgrade is rarely as simple as it should be, and you spent time running around trying to fix stuff that shouldn't have broken but did.

getting to terminal mode should be as simple as hitting <ALT>+<F1>. You'll need to log in. I don't know the command line syntax to install a new nVidia driver - it might be
  • apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
Your just to right my friend!! LOL

But I fear you have forgotten what a barrier ignorance is! Until I saw Gnome boot I didn't know for sure it was drivers. In fact Until installing Nvidia drivers worked it was still just a guess on my part that I played out and won on.

Aedan, forgive me, but I have no fears about you getting just about anything you want to do in Linux done...

But I'm just limping along here, trying to stay on the path...when as you have pointed out, the path at times disappears and we are left to what we know. You get left with considerably more than I do! LOL

Which is why I value your posts so highly. When the path disappears we are lost without a damn good guide!

I think of you as my Sherpa when I'm up here on my mountain of ignorance and my path path just fell into the valley below!

Thanks Aedan, Thanks Chris, it's good to unwind from my adventures with friends.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th November, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 29th November, 2012, 10:21 AM

Just you wait! I had lots of fun with a system that was connected via HDMI to a TV that required HDCP encryption. Basically, there was no display until the nVidia X drivers got themselves up and running. That means no BIOS, and no terminal. Black screen if something prevented the drivers from working. That was coupled with the fact that certain nVidia drivers worked better for GPU offload of video, and certain nVidia drivers didn't work quite properly with no overscan meant that I had to force the installation of a specific version of driver.

Like most people, I don't need to be battling the OS to get something done.

Last edited by Aedan; 29th November, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 29th November, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

It's lonely at the top Dude! Especially in Linux with only weak code to keep you company! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th November, 2012 at 09:22 PM.