AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > GAMES! OH YEAH! > Linux

Linux Gaming Support on Our Favorite Free Platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th February, 2013, 10:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've looked about my desktop and played a bit in 3 of my games...I don't see any difference.

initially Stalker of Chernobyl kept losing the keyboard and crashing. So I dumped my start point in the game and tried starting th game over, now plays perfectly and highest settings.

Again, initially, Crysis 2 looked great but was very jerky in movement, I dumped my starting point but this time just drop back to the previous saved game and the problem went away.

Chronicles of Riddick played fine.

Alas...no new options in the login menu.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 11th February, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2013, 01:34 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

That's because you installed it, but it wasn't running

To run it, you probably have to run this command, or something similar:

Code:
openbox --replace
You should do this a a regular user, not root. Don't be surprised if things look a bit different after you run the command. If things do not look different, it probably isn't running, so post the output of the command back here for us to look at it.

If it runs OK, then try your games.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 12th February, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2013, 10:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ok, I'll be ready to re-boot to 32 bit in less than an hour .":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th February, 2013, 11:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well yes, that created change!! ":O}

Unfortunately, my menu and tool bars have gone bye bye. Anything (not much) I can reach by right clicking on my desktop works fine, my browser was open so I can use it, once I close it...I'm screwed!

My music app is still playing...everything I can reach works fine...I can change my desktop background...

I'll try a re-boot and see where we are.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th February, 2013, 11:43 PM
AOA Staff

menu and toolbars are gone?
That doesn't make sense... no Menu button at the bottom left?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 12th February, 2013, 11:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I couldn't even take a picture to show you! ":O}

How some ever upon re-booting everything went square again and I'm looking pretty good! Bars and Menu back in place.

Ah wait a minute, I think it reverted on me when I re-boot. Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm using the stock Cinnamon again.

I'm going to do it again ...see what happens...":O}
Attached Thumbnails
Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-2013-02-12-14-27  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th February, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12th February, 2013, 11:58 PM
AOA Staff

yup, that is Cinnamon (I think)
I bet there is some command line parameter to make the changes stick.

Don't forget you can take screenshots with PrtSc on the keyboard.
It should automatically save in your Pictures directory
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Tried again, it takes out the menu icon and the tool bars. The picture is Mint before I pressed enter, wanted a before and after, but after has no tool bars.":O}

It does change the color of my browser title bar. So I'm pretty sure we are installing it.... just can't do anything once I have it! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 13th February, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:10 AM
AOA Staff

Strange, I wonder if you have to build the menu after the change.
Probably with command line prompts.
try launching your browser first, make the change, press PrtScr then reply to this post and attach the screenshot with your browser
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:19 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Strange, I wonder if you have to build the menu after the change.
Probably with command line prompts.
try launching your browser first, make the change, press PrtScr then reply to this post and attach the screenshot with your browser
I just left "Screen shot" open and used the Files Icon on my desktop to access the picture...

Not sure the picture will show it, but when browser is active it's top bar is blue...not so in my usual settings...and I have tool bars as general rule...":O}

OH! You can see the change in the Rhythm notification, it's very different!
Attached Thumbnails
Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-2013-02-12-15-14  
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 13th February, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:21 AM
AOA Staff

Wow, it seriously did remote the whole bar at the bottom... how are we supposed to use our operating system with our main Navigation missing in action?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, Linux does report or seems to some sort of error...we may not have the command we need to set it off yet.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 13th February, 2013, 12:50 AM
AOA Staff

duh, "unable to find a valid menu file"
Its looking for an XML which retails all the code for your menu.
No wonder...

Looks like it might be here:
Code:
/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
Maybe there is a command to tell your new Openbox desktop where the XML is?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th February, 2013, 12:52 AM
AOA Staff

Oh, by the way, after launching Openbox, try right-clicking the Desktop to open a program or directory!

Here is some more information about it: Openbox.org
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 13th February, 2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
Well yes, that created change!! ":O}

Unfortunately, my menu and tool bars have gone bye bye. Anything (not much) I can reach by right clicking on my desktop works fine, my browser was open so I can use it, once I close it...I'm screwed!

My music app is still playing...everything I can reach works fine...I can change my desktop background...

I'll try a re-boot and see where we are.
That doesn't sound unusual, I thought we would see something like that. We could get them back after studying openbox and how to configure it, but that's not important to what you are testing ATM.

Remember that you can start any of your apps with Alt-F2 *probably*. If you need your browser, you type Alt-F2, and then enter 'firefox' or whatever you use. You may also be able to open things with a right-click on the desktop, a la Xfce. Try it.

Guys, remember that there are lots of ways to get things done in Linux. For example, I use a tiling window manager, and no DE. That means, no pretty window decorations, no fly-out/drop-down menus, and no lists of apps. I can do everything I can do in a DE, just *faster*.

What you need to try is, invoke openbox with openbox --replace, and then Alt-F2, or right-click the desktop, to start one of your games, and test it out. If you like what happens as far as the rates, and you feel the difference, we study how to create a way to toggle openbox and then you can use it for your gaming sessions. Your other work you can do in your DE, since you're more comfortable there.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 13th February, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 13th February, 2013, 02:51 AM

Here are some screenshots of my Xmonad setup. Xmonad is the tiling WM I spoke about. It differs from Openbox in that Openbox is a floating WM, rather than tiling, so you have to move windows around manually (like in your DE), whereas Xmonad calculates the screen space and places the windows for you (but the behavior is highly configurable. It's actually programmable, but the language it's based on is Haskell, which is a bit, well, obscure.).

You do not need a full DE like Gnome, KDE or Xfce to operate. (You're just feeling a bit *lost* wtithout them right now). All you need is a WM of some kind. You could make a setup where you could choose at login to enter your DE, or alternately a WM only. That is what I have. I get the login prompt, and after logging in, I simply type 'startx' to enter Xfce, or I type 'startxm' to enter Xmonad with no DE (which is what I *normally* do). To do this, I just had to create some custom startup files.

The screenshots here are in Xmonad, with no DE running. As you can see, I can run CL apps or GUI apps, because X is running *underneath*. I have transparent windows, desktop wallpaper, and a navigation bar app at the top. One of the folding clients is running in WINE. There are 9 desktops/workspaces, and you switch between them with a single keystroke. I can float the windows if I want, and I can throw a window to another workspace. If I throw a second window to the same workspace, it tiles automatically with the one that's already there, so you NEVER lose a window under a pile of windows. So you want a different wallpaper on each workspace? Can do. You have some special needs apps that start with multiple windows, like gimp? You can configure xmonad to lay out the gimp windows in a specific way that is optimal for you.

The setup is SUPER FAST. LIGHTNING FAST. SCREAMING FAST. And it uses only 60 MB of memory.

In other words, it is the pinnacle of geekiness. It's perfect.

Don't fret about those missing menus and stuff. Over time we can figure out what to do, There is always a way. I am quite sure that Openbox has similar configuration options, but I am not familiar with them, so we would have to study it. Since this is a disposable experiment, and it's on a separate drive from your working drive, we have nothing to lose

This all looks much better on a big monitor, but unfortunately the 23 on this machine is out for repair at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-083418.png   Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-083544.png   Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-083653.png   Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-083730.png   Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-083906.png  

Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-085940.png   Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-20130213-091258.png  

Last edited by ThunderRd; 14th February, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 13th February, 2013, 05:54 AM

Here's a shot of the same system, only this time it's running Xfce DE with Compiz as the WM. This would be a more familiar look for you, with a taskbar panel, desktop widgets and an openGL apps launcher called cairo-dock. Opened apps would have a title bar and decorations, and buttons like your DE setups. Xfce is much lighter than the DEs you are using, but it still uses 10-15 times more memory than the same system running Xmonad.

Compiz is a compositing WM, so it has lots of special window effects available. It's the WM with the famous 'cube' that you turn to change desktops. You can change the number of sides on the cube, and have it decorated the way you want, and hundreds of other special window effects. It isn't easy on resources, though. Lots of the eye candy is mainly for show.
Attached Thumbnails
Is your desktop slowing your games down?-screenshot-02132013-11-15-01-am.png  

Last edited by ThunderRd; 14th February, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 13th February, 2013, 08:16 PM
AOA Staff

I am VERY Impressed! Why havn't I heard of openbox before?
Tiling windows isn't so important to me but the speed IS!

Are you saying there is a way to use good ole Gnome desktop for using Linux, but when I want to launch a game, Openbox desktop can be launched with it to speed up my games?

Sounds kinda like running programs in "safe mode" with Windows.
Like Firefox in Safe-Mode?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 14th February, 2013, 03:22 AM

What I am saying is, if you really wanted to conserve all those resources that Gnome uses, and have them available to your games, you could have a kind of dual-boot setup. Not really dual booting, because the system is the same, but after booting, you could choose what you want to load on top of the OS. So, if you're going to watch YouTube, make a spreadsheet, or listen to your music, you light up the full Gnome or KDE. But, if your intention is to run your games, you don't load Gnome/KDE, just your WM of choice. Many of the WMs in the document below are light on resources (except for the compositing ones). What this means is you would use fewer CPU cycles and have a significantly higher amount of memory available for the game.

When you're done playing, you logout, and invoke your DE again. No need to reboot. To do this stuff, you have to mess around in /usr/bin/startx and some assorted dotfiles in ~/; ~/.xinitrc, ~/.Xresources, and ~/.Xdefaults come to mind. These are the scripts that get your environment loaded.

Read this to get started on your WM selection journey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager

Note the different types of WMs; tiling, stacking/floating, compositing, etc. Also notice how many there are.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 14th February, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 14th February, 2013, 05:43 PM
AOA Staff

That totally makes sense because Mint already lets you choose what desktop you want to use:
Cinnamon
Cinnamon 2D
Gnome classic

Too bad we have to log off in order to reset it.
So there has to be a way to add Openbox to the list before logging in.

This is a GREAT idea for Optimizing Linux for games.
Honestly, I would probably stick with Openbox because its so fast, but like I said before, my testing environment is to stay as standard as possible for new Linux users.

I may try this for myself. Not to mention when I migrate to Linux on all of my Gaming computer, I could run Openbox too.

Is there any faster desktops than Openbox?
Besides text only of course
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Tags
linux , mint , openbox