AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Mint and modern hardware (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50637)

chrisbard 24th August, 2012 07:44 PM

Can't believe I am doing this :D

1 Attachment(s)
...as I said!

booman 24th August, 2012 07:46 PM

very nice! I hope you don't have the installation issues I was having

chrisbard 24th August, 2012 07:47 PM

I think Windows has smelled something fishy being burned on the dvd :)

1 Attachment(s)
Oh MA GAD! :eek:

booman 24th August, 2012 07:49 PM

wow, you actually errored a DVD?!!
USB it!
I submitted a tutorial to Gizmo

Daniel ~ 24th August, 2012 09:16 PM

( you could ask Chris to "edit/preview" your guide and step-test it for you?)

booman 24th August, 2012 09:27 PM

Chris, PM me if you are interested, I'll send you my guide. Chances are Mint will work just fine on your hardware.
It just didn't like my Gigabyte motherboard.

Daniel ~ 24th August, 2012 09:50 PM

If you do, remember to keep it close Chris...Boo put a lot of work into this and it hasn't been published yet...

booman 25th August, 2012 09:48 PM

I finally got Steam installed. Alien Swarm (free) works and so does Half Life 2.
I tried Half Life Deathmatch (lan party favorite) and its just a black screen with a mouse. No video as of yet.
Now I'm going to try doom 3 and Quake Wars.

Daniel ~ 25th August, 2012 10:55 PM

I got the same result in Half-life 2 Deathmatch, bet ya do good with Half-life 2 ":O}

booman 27th August, 2012 07:49 PM

Doom 3 is working pretty good. I'm having some audio lag for some reason, but otherwise it runs natively!
I also installed Desura because there are a bunch of native Linux indie games too. Some free ones!
Just click the little Penguin at the top right.

Alien Arena runs natively. I tried to increase the resolution but it kinda crashed on me.
Here are some tips for a locked up desktop or screen:

step 1:
Ctrl+Alt+F1 - opens a shell command line

step 2:
login

step 3:
this command shows you all the running processes
Code:

ps -ef
-ef will show you ALL proccess and it might be hard to find the one you want.

step 4:
kill the process!
Code:

kill doom3.x86
in this example the shell will KILL doom 3.

step 5:
If you can't find your process on the list because its so stinking huge, try using the group switch.
Code:

ps -g booman
my login booman is also a group booman. So this will show me all the running processes by my group. This makes the list much smaller.
Find the process name and then try the Kill command again.

step 6:
Code:

logoff
Logs you off the current shell.

step 7:
Ctrl+Alt+F8 - Opens the X windows so you can get back to your Graphical User Interface Mint.

Daniel ~ 27th August, 2012 09:21 PM

The Doom install to Linux procedure.... it's the same for all native Linux games?

If so if you will write me a guide I'll proof it for you...":O}

What I want is a guide a complete noob can follow and find early success in getting their native Linux games going. I feel if they can do that, the chances of them staying long enough with Mint to get comfortable will be much improved...

No rush, if you decide you want to do this, just when ever you can.":O}

booman 27th August, 2012 09:25 PM

Unfortunately no...
I'll send you the instructions I used. I'm curious if your audio will behave like mine.
The installation is different depending on the type of file you are given.
Most of the wine installations are the same because you just right click a setup.exe or some kind of file.exe and run with wine.
Native games will give you different types of files like .rpm .sh .deb .tar.gz
Its kinda confusing, but maybe I could create a tutorial for each kind.
I'll send you the Doom 3 instructions.
Its pretty easy and Mint supported all the resolutions available.

Daniel ~ 27th August, 2012 09:38 PM

So we start to rub up against it! Linux the inscrutable!

Aidan warned me there would be days like this! ":O}

booman 27th August, 2012 09:43 PM

Yup, these are some of the symptoms when you have open environment and developers do their own thing.
I hope that some of these games will start appearing in the software manager.
Some of them already do. Then they basically install themselves.
Luckily, some developers create multiple file types to support different distros.

Daniel ~ 27th August, 2012 11:48 PM

Mint needs a game contingent beyond Steam, which should be good, but limited to what steam can deliver... A group that puts those game into software manger... I wonder if they have one?

booman 28th August, 2012 12:06 AM

Desura already has an edge on Linux but doesn't get quite as much attention as Steam. You will see a lot of duplicate indie games on both.

The downside to Steam running natively in Linux will be the developers.
There is no guarrantee all the games will have a Linux counterpart. But this is a start. I'm a HUGE gamer and do lots of research/community help! I've seen more and more demand for games on Linux everywhere I go.

Daniel ~ 28th August, 2012 12:16 AM

This is very good to hear!

One day it may dawn upon game devs that if I don't have to pay for my OS, I have a bit of spare change I might spend on games... if you add to that the utilities and programs people have to pay for....that's more that just one or two games... That's 6 or 8 new games...

booman 28th August, 2012 12:49 AM

My point exactly!
Game Companies will start to realize that its yet another game sold when it comes to Linux users. Even if there are a few of us, we will still buy their game.
They have already come to this conclusion with the major game engines out there: UDK, Unity, CryEngine 3.
They are all supporting multiple platforms.

Daniel ~ 28th August, 2012 02:04 AM

All grist for our mills! ":O}

chrisbard 28th August, 2012 02:36 PM

omg if it's so simple and straight forward to play ancient games on linucs I think I am going to play my 2012 games on either my Xbox or my Windows PC, thank you! :rolling: