AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Mint and modern hardware (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50637)

chrisbard 29th August, 2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 518408)
I am going to try Battlefield 2 again tonight and then in the morning I'll try Crysis.

Can you not play just watching the cursor even if the rest of the screen is blank? :rolling:

booman 29th August, 2012 12:33 AM

BF2 wouldn't launch at all after the initial installation. I found some tips on WineHQ and will try them tonight.
I'm stubborn enough to try anything because BF2 is one of my LAN Party Favorites!

Daniel ~ 29th August, 2012 04:30 AM

I'm using the version that Steam downloaded to me. which I guess was once based upon the retail game, I do vaguely remember years ago giving steam my serial number for the game.

Daniel ~ 29th August, 2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 518428)
Can you not play just watching the cursor even if the rest of the screen is blank? :rolling:

I think that's more of a windows game, I don't know if its made to run Linux in a playable form. Don't you have to have the Win 8 disk in the drive in order to play?

Windows can be VERY proprietary that way!

Aedan 29th August, 2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 518373)
I'm not sure if Quake Wars is considered "ancient" but it works fine in Mint 13.
It was pretty easy to install and ran really well on high settings.

One example is Battlefield 3... requires Windows 7 and a direct X 10 video card. For some people this requires purchasing Win7 and maybe a new video card. That could be $200 not including the price of the game.
What do I do? I wait at least a year before I buy a game.

Quake Wars is 2007 tech, so it should run really well on anything relatively recent. A low end Direct X 10 capable video card will set you back $23 including shipping.

booman 29th August, 2012 05:14 PM

If you are like me, a low end card won't play games any better than an integrated chip. Most laptops these days have direct x 10 & 11 capable chips... even the socket FM1 AMD CPU's have direct x 11 GPU's
I need Power! I normally spend between $100-$150 for a decent card.

Win 7 Home is $100 on newegg.com so for a heavy gamer like me it will be at least $200.
And everything is legal!

booman 29th August, 2012 05:18 PM

Battlefield 2 is working in Mint 13!
Took me several hours of troubleshooting and turned out to be fairly simple.
I had to follow some steps in MintHQ to get it to work.
Turns out the resolution and refresh rate has to be manually set and you need to install all direct x libraries in Wine.
I'll install it again from scratch and create a tutorial of what I did.

Unfortunately I have not been able to run it higher than 1024x768@75Hz
And there are some screen artifacts: blinking shadows & spots, but not enough to ruin the gameplay.
I tried the high graphical settings, but the frame-rate was too low to actually play.
Its a start!

Daniel ~ 29th August, 2012 06:55 PM

And a good start at that. Just remember the world is coming to meet you! The world is trying to go where your trying to go...expect help along the way...":O}

booman 2nd September, 2012 05:20 PM

Here is a list of games I got workiing over the weekend in Steam & Wine:
1. Torchlight
2. Ghost Recon (original)
3. Heroes of Might n Magic 3
4. SCUMMV (adventure engine)
5. Avencast

Daniel ~ 2nd September, 2012 06:47 PM

I'll be back, just have one or two things before I post....":O}

Daniel ~ 2nd September, 2012 07:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
While playing in Bodhi I discovered Wine Tricks for the first time, Tricks is a broader selection of emulation than PlayonLinux, less game oriented and comes with a selection of apps you can choose to install.

On section caught my Eye, Benchmarks!

I installed 3DMark 2001 and ran it in Bodhi, So I try the much newer "Stalker, Call of Pripyat Bench mark, dated 2010.

I didn't at all set my box to run benches, this is just my every day run around machine....which is O/Ced to 4800 from 3400.

Again, this is my GeForce 8800 GTS

chrisbard 2nd September, 2012 08:29 PM

Would you have any problems getting StalkerCOP to run? That is an awesome game!!!

Daniel ~ 2nd September, 2012 11:21 PM

Really hard to say...it could run as well as the benchmark or it could be a brick... Only way to know is to try it i guess.

booman 2nd September, 2012 11:36 PM

I'll put it on my list.

Daniel ~ 3rd September, 2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisbard (Post 518626)
Would you have any problems getting StalkerCOP to run? That is an awesome game!!!

Oh! it is a very pretty benchmark! ":O}

chrisbard 3rd September, 2012 02:26 PM

I finished the game and it's one of the best games ever.

booman 3rd September, 2012 05:23 PM

I thought is was cool, but I started to get lost on what to do next...
I made it to Pripyat and did some quests, but kinda plateaued.
Also, mine had a strange loading problem. I would walk to a location and no one was there. I would wait and all of a sudden it would freeze and all the NPC's would appear. Very strange. And kinda bad if it was a bunch of enemies instead of NPC's

booman 3rd September, 2012 05:26 PM

Borderlands and Magicka are a NO GO!
I tried several things and still can't get them running.
I'm starting to get confused with Wine, PlayonLinux and Winetricks.
They all seem to do the same thing and put my windows files in different places.
I'll have to do more research.
Magicka needs XNA & Netframework installed. But when it installs, there is a crash. I tried installing the libraries myself with winetricks and with playonlinux but I still get the crash.
I'm going to take a break and move my Fedora 8 server into a new case.

chrisbard 3rd September, 2012 06:06 PM

Prior to moving make sure you uninstall then install win and everything will be all right ! ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-gb; HTC Desire Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

booman 3rd September, 2012 06:24 PM

It will never happen!