AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   I need help installing Nvidia Drivers...oh the shame of it! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50766)

Daniel ~ 24th September, 2012 10:14 PM

I'll check them out, may even look into EVGA drivers...

booman 24th September, 2012 10:32 PM

I just checked, no Linux drivers on EVGA website.

Daniel ~ 24th September, 2012 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ah! But Nvidia shall provide...Not the 306 but something! I'll go try'em out!

booman 24th September, 2012 10:50 PM

it never hurts to try an older one

ThunderRd 25th September, 2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 519708)

The guy that was modding the Omega drivers hasn't kept the site current for several years, and IIRC he only made driver mods for Windows. Unless things have changed, you won't find anything there.

@Daniel: You might try running a GPU utility like Afterburner or EVGA Precision to see what you card is doing. Both are written by the same guy that developed the legendary RivaTuner, which was the best of the best. The only problem is, they are Windows programs, so you will have to see if they run in WINE.

booman 25th September, 2012 05:25 PM

ooh, not a bad idea....
running Riva Tuner in wine
I'll have to try that too

ThunderRd 25th September, 2012 05:33 PM

Don't use RIVA. Use one of the others. RivaTuner is pretty much a dead project now. The last version of it is probably 2 years old and does not support GPUs after the GTX4xx series, I'm quite sure.

Aedan 25th September, 2012 05:48 PM

If you have to communicate with a driver directly, then Wine isn't going to cut it. However, there is a "coolbits" setting you could change in the xorg.conf file under the "Device" section. Basically, you'd set the "coolbits" option to "5". See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...g_overclocking - don't set it to "1", but to "5" instead.

Note, this does NOT work on Fermi or Kepler based cards.

booman 25th September, 2012 05:51 PM

yeah, you are probably right, its a good idea for older cards
I still wonder if it works in Wine

Daniel ~ 25th September, 2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aedan (Post 519743)
If you have to communicate with a driver directly, then Wine isn't going to cut it. However, there is a "coolbits" setting you could change in the xorg.conf file under the "Device" section. Basically, you'd set the "coolbits" option to "5". See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...g_overclocking - don't set it to "1", but to "5" instead.

Note, this does NOT work on Fermi or Kepler based cards.

Very nice! Unfortunately I have a Kepler card...":O}

Daniel ~ 25th September, 2012 06:51 PM

So far only my two bench marks, Fluid-marks and Fur-marks properly ID my card... Half life series runs great...every thing else, not so much...Modern warfare 2 comes next, still have some hope for settings in that one... I think this may have to wait for proper drivers before I can know what is causing what...

As always thanks for your time and interest! ":O}

booman 25th September, 2012 07:37 PM

what is the name of your card again?

Daniel ~ 25th September, 2012 11:03 PM

See it here in all it's ragged glory! ":O}

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787"]EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

booman 26th September, 2012 12:08 AM

I'm reading the reviews and Winblows users are having Red Screen Of Death problems and driver problems with this card.
One guy did benchmarks but when he played a game it would crash Winblows....
Several people mentioned that it gets very HOT.
One thing you can do is take off that heatsink & fan, then apply some Arctic Silver to the GPU and Memory (if the heatsink is in contact)

This can lower the temperature and possible limit artifacts.
I had an older card over heat due to a dying fan and it had artifacts all over the place!

Daniel ~ 26th September, 2012 12:48 AM

She actually runs very cool! Water cooled my 8800GTX would idle at around 45... this card is air cooled to 33C at 68F ambient. I have no trouble with any Half-life game. My feeling is that the card is OK....

I try running some benchies in small screen so I can watch temps...

chrisbard 26th September, 2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 519757)
I'm reading the reviews and Winblows users are having Red Screen Of Death problems and driver problems with this card.
One guy did benchmarks but when he played a game it would crash Winblows....
Several people mentioned that it gets very HOT.
One thing you can do is take off that heatsink & fan, then apply some Arctic Silver to the GPU and Memory (if the heatsink is in contact)

This can lower the temperature and possible limit artifacts.
I had an older card over heat due to a dying fan and it had artifacts all over the place!

As you noted towards the end of the post the card might have cooling problems. Windows users are able to use the card to the max of it's designated potential unlike ppl that are using the card to display a linux theme. That means that any fault in the card, wether a heating problem or something else, will trigger a system "crash". There is also a small chance that it might be a driver problem but anyway it it not down to the OS so you can't actually blame it. Instead linux has a lot of issues with modern hardware up to the point that you can't use your favorite distro unless you spend hours after hours setting it up...or might not work at all.

ThunderRd 26th September, 2012 01:28 AM

If you want to give it the most complete stress test just set up the folding client. It will run at 100% and you can check your temps then. It's a bit complicated because there is no native version for Linux, so you need WINE, but it works.

Daniel ~ 26th September, 2012 01:32 AM

So far after 15 mins of Stress testing at Max performance, the highest temp I've seen is 68C.

Lead the way ThunderRd! How about a new thread on GPU Folding to get me started...I'm sure Boo wants to GPU fold as well, don't cha Boo!?":O}

Changed Stress test to Furmarks and got a 70C after 10 mins... Bear in mind I'm only at 68 F Ambient... Summer could be hard on these cards!

ThunderRd 26th September, 2012 03:50 PM

I'm on it.

I have not set it up in WINE as yet, but I do know that it works and it is documented. It will take some time to get it together, and I am working in a different distro.

Daniel ~ 26th September, 2012 06:14 PM

Understood! Not to worry, I'm buried in projects at the moment...so just when ever you can! I put the rest of my stuff on hold when your ready. ":O}