AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Peppermint Linux (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51111)

bigjohnson 7th April, 2013 02:09 AM

Peppermint Linux

Hey guys long time no see!
I have just built me a brand spanking new machine. More on that later.
I installed Peppermint Linux as I have been playing with it a lot in VirtualBox on my laptop.
Peppermint installed easily and seems to be fast. Take a look at their site.

Peppermint OS
:thumbsup:

Daniel ~ 7th April, 2013 05:52 PM

Haven't tried this as yet. How do you like it? Mostly I'm in Mint 14... But install anything that looks interesting. I just took a glance at the site, wanted to hear your experiences before trying it. I'm still running a desktop, So laptop Destros are not in my main interest, but ARE of interest.":O}

So...how does she go? ":O}

bigjohnson 7th April, 2013 07:59 PM

I installed it on my new built desktop. It boot fast and has a similar layout and feel of a Windows system. Easy to install and easy to add programs. It is a 32bit OS.
I will run it untill I learn more about my new gear. I may install Linux Mint Debian 64. I like what I read about Debian stability.
Or something with the cube or 3d desktop.
My goal is no more Windows.

Daniel ~ 8th April, 2013 06:47 PM

Have you tried Mint 14

If your looking for a Windows total replacement, I have not found better.

14 works well with PlayOnLinux, which will let you play nearly ALL DirectX 9 games.... if you like games.

It's the best I've fond and I'm MS Windows free...as in COMPLETELY free.

If you find you have an interest, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

bigjohnson 8th April, 2013 08:29 PM

Linux Mint is at the top of my list. I like the look and feel of Cinnamon, Mate etc..
I wanted to run Ubuntu but but could not get it to go. Which led me to Mint, Peppermint and others.

Daniel ~ 9th April, 2013 05:02 PM

Ah! Just so you know what is out there and available. Linux is so much easier to get up to speed on than when I first started trying to get Fedora to meet my needs.

When I first started I had to pretty much give up on Games, a few like Quake and Doom, native Linux games would go, but the rest were well beyond my reach. So I went PS3

But in the last year all that seems to have changed. Great to have games back in play!

bigjohnson 10th April, 2013 11:50 PM

I had an issue with Peppermint on my new desktop machine. Instead of fixing it I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 14. Issue cured.
Still like Peppermint on my VB Laptop.
I will have questions on Mint soon

Daniel ~ 11th April, 2013 09:46 PM

I have a few of my own...we can work together on it! ":O}

booman 12th April, 2013 12:25 AM

Ah a competitor with Mint!
I may try Peppermint on a USB drive as live disk... just to take a look.
What was the problem you were having with Ubuntu and Peppermint?

bigjohnson 12th April, 2013 02:05 AM

With Ubuntu on vB all I could get after install was the wallpaper. No toolbar no icons nothing.
On Peppermint, no sound. It seems that it wouldn't detect the sound hardware.
So far so good on Mint.
Maybe I should go with 64 bit Mint? I got 16gb of ram and a quad AMD.

booman 12th April, 2013 03:31 PM

That is really strange with Ubuntu... did you try it with a USB drive first?
I bet it is something with the neveau drivers...

As for peppermint, do you have an HDMI for your onboard video or video card?
I had problems with Mint 13 setting my analog audio first... it would always default to HDMI and I'm not using it. So I would have to go to the system settings and set audio output as analog every time I restarted.

I know Peppermint's goal is to be a fast booting no-nonsense internet operating system, but I wonder if it has the ability to install Nvidia drivers quickly and the proper libraries for games?

Daniel ~ 12th April, 2013 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohnson (Post 523846)
With Ubuntu on vB all I could get after install was the wallpaper. No toolbar no icons nothing.
On Peppermint, no sound. It seems that it wouldn't detect the sound hardware.
So far so good on Mint.
Maybe I should go with 64 bit Mint? I got 16gb of ram and a quad AMD.

I'm running in 64 bit. everything is all I could want it to be. I'm what cha call a limited user. I just visit the forums and play games and install destros for fun.":O}

The Only limitation I've found in 64 bit is when installing some games. But this is NOT a problem. POL will let you choose weather you install a given game in 64 or 32 bit.

booman 12th April, 2013 07:01 PM

It does?
At what point during the install process does it ask you?

Daniel ~ 13th April, 2013 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may have this only when Rolling your own...When You select "install a non listed program" See the bottom of the Pic. I'm unsure as I install almost everything that way. See my Crysis install. It's about the only one I took the Time to install in 64 bit. Many won't go due to a lack of 64 bit support for most game compatibility Like .net and so many others":O}

booman 14th April, 2013 03:25 AM

I still don't see where it asks you to select 32-bit and 64-bit

Daniel ~ 15th April, 2013 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I try quick run threw and see if I can't be more specific....wait....are you in a 64 bit OS? if not you probably won't see it.?

booman 15th April, 2013 04:14 PM

Nope, that is the Key factor... if you are in a 32-bit Linux, Wine will always install the 32-bit game.
Simpler for me in the long-run

Daniel ~ 15th April, 2013 08:39 PM

Only if you hate RAM":O}

booman 15th April, 2013 08:57 PM

Nope, don't have RAM... but not too fond of making the world more complicated with 64-bit Operating Systems.

Actually my Windows 7 64-bit has no problems playing games.
Well, mostly no problems. Every program installs at: c:\Program Files (x86) for some reason?
Some games don't like a directory with (x86) in the name.
Kinda dumb if you ask me because I can install a game in any directory I want.

bigjohnson 16th April, 2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 523880)
Nope, don't have RAM... but not too fond of making the world more complicated with 64-bit Operating Systems.

Actually my Windows 7 64-bit has no problems playing games.
Well, mostly no problems. Every program installs at: c:\Program Files (x86) for some reason?
Some games don't like a directory with (x86) in the name.
Kinda dumb if you ask me because I can install a game in any directory I want.

I have got to remember that (x86)! I got to try that soon.