AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April, 2003, 04:33 AM

trouble with home network

I finally got DSL and I purchased a linksys etherFast cable/DSL
Router. I have it all set up and can get online fine with both computers. The problem I am having is that I can not share files and printers The PC's can see themselves but can not see each other I can't seem to figure it out. The main PC is running XP and the other is running WIN 2K pro can any of you home networking wizards help me out? I had everthing working when I had a direct cable connection and ME on the PC I have win 2K Pro on now. TIA,
Randy
Old 13th April, 2003, 12:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Let's get rid of the obvious first...
Do you have any sw firewalls running? (uninstall completely.)
Are you running DHCP?
Do you have file and printer sharing enabled on both machines?
Old 13th April, 2003, 10:13 PM

No firewalls running. Yes I am running DHCP. File and print sharing is enabled on both machines. I was able to access each PC from the other by using search for computors or people. I typed in the Unique name for PC "B" on PC "A" and it came up and I typed in Admin. and hit enter and I was in, So I placed a short cut to it on my desktop. Did the same on PC "B" this was after this post last night. I must be missing something simple because I can't get both PC's show up in my network places.
Thanks for the reply, any idea's are appreciated.
Old 14th April, 2003, 01:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Are they both under the same workgroup name?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April, 2003, 01:48 AM

Robbie, I believe that was the problem. On PC "A" which is running XP Home version the work group is MSHome on PC "B" the work group name is work group. I got it straightened out and all is well now. Thanks for the help.
Randy
Old 14th April, 2003, 02:35 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Glad it's working out for ya there bud. That's what we are here for!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!