AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2002, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Active directory?????

How do I go about setting that up in XP??I'm clueless. I need an answer asap.
Old 17th January, 2002, 06:09 PM
Banned

Hmmm... haven't needed to yet

It's an administrative tool, imagine you're running XP in classic style, I know it's available through control panel and/or accessories, system tools... it's there, I know that much, but I'm at work on w2k, and I couldn't even tell you here since the machine is administratively locked down (from people like me ).
Old 17th January, 2002, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
Hmmm... haven't needed to yet

It's an administrative tool, imagine you're running XP in classic style, I know it's available through control panel and/or accessories, system tools... it's there, I know that much, but I'm at work on w2k, and I couldn't even tell you here since the machine is administratively locked down (from people like me ).
try doing a search for "Microsoft management console" in help
Old 18th January, 2002, 01:02 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Active directory?????

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
How do I go about setting that up in XP??I'm clueless. I need an answer asap.
If you still need answers, head towards the Windows 2000 Step-by-Step Guides . Yes, I know it's for Windows 2000, not XP, but it covers the stuff you need to know about AD. Given how important AD is to the way the infrastructure grows, it's necessary to plan it out first, before implementing an AD.

AidanII
Old 21st January, 2002, 02:51 AM

yeah, i know about mmc, and i've dorked around with 2k a bit, but maybe I'm just blind because I couldn't find it in mmc in xp...I have a couple good admin books for 2k but still couldn't figure it out..maybe I'm just blind..
Old 21st January, 2002, 10:17 PM

You've probably been using MMC without even realising it, given it seems to be MS's preferred administrative method now.

AidanII
Old 25th January, 2002, 09:38 AM

well, I was using mmc, but I didn't see a thing that said active directory anywhere...
Old 25th January, 2002, 09:40 PM

That all depends on what DLLs MMC was using at the time you were using it. MMC on it's own is just a framework - it can't do anything useful. Various adminstrative DLLs are written with the idea that they'll plug into MMC, and provide a level of usefulnes for MMC (Not that I'm calling MMC useful). The DLLs are loaded depending on what MMC session file was opened. If no session file was loaded, then MMC will come up, but be completely useless until you get it to load a DLL that'll allow you to administer something.

So, to set anything up, you'd need to know which DLLs to load, if you don't already have an MMC session. Most of the MS tools are just MMC sessions that have been set up.

I'm not 100% convinced that AD uses MMC though.

AidanII