AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th January, 2005, 11:11 PM

My wireless network...DONE!

MAN! I finally (after three months of getting my arse wirelessly kicked) have managed to set up my wireless network at home. I used a Microsoft Wireless Base Station 4 port wireless G router that I got for $30. (Can look up the store I bought it from if anyone's interested). It took a bit of pain and trial and error (it was refurbed and I had to clear out Amy's settings, whoever Amy is) but I'm posting this from my laptop in the bathroom! I managed to set her up with 64bit WEP (10 digit security code...there was no way I could remember 26 digits) and my laptop has wireless integrated Intel networking. I don't know how well I'd do for advice for other people...but if you've been afraid to make the jump to wireless because of concerns about the difficulty of doing so, FEAR NOT! It is actually pretty easy. Sorry for the useless post, but I'm just very pleased with my wireless self at the moment.
Old 9th January, 2005, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

LOL. i was the same way. i spent about 2 weeks and it would go off and come back on. but now i know exactly what i'm doing and how to do it and i'm still riding on that high.

how'd you get a 64bit wep? is that only with microsoft? i don't know that much about security but i have a netgear router with wep enabled.
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th January, 2005, 11:29 PM

Thumbs up Useless Post?

I wouldn't say it was a useless post, getting wireless working is sometimes a long and painful process. Props to you. Its cool that you are posting wirelessly...I just don't know if posting from the bathroom is something we want to know about...

Old 9th January, 2005, 11:53 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble742
how'd you get a 64bit wep? is that only with microsoft? i don't know that much about security but i have a netgear router with wep enabled.
Pretty much all wireless routers/APs will handle either 64 bit or 128 bit WEP. Here's a handy site

Getting it all to work together though is the interesting bit - 802.11b & g are standards, but some hardware is more standard than others.

Take for example my recently dismantled wireless LAN. My landlord was using an Atmel-based Belkin card to try to connect to my Netgear router. Both my Prism-based Netgear card, my Atmel-based D-Link card and an old Realtek-based unbranded card would happily talk to the router. The Belkin card simply refused to pick up the network. It did, however, pick up the next door neighbour's Linksys router.