AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2005, 11:05 PM
Member/Contributer

What smartphones are you using then....

This section hasn't seen any life in a while. So, what smartphone are you using and why!?
Can anyone recommend the Orange SPV M2000 over say a Sony Ericsson 910i?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 11:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

just got the Nokia 6680, its great! i had 3 Nokia 6630 and all went faulty, this new Nokia 6680 is so classy and ts feature set are solid! 1.3 mega pixel camera on the back VGA on the front flash, 3g support memory card slot, oh i could go on... check it out!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2005, 12:16 AM

I got a SE Z1010 - change from SE T610.
Dual camera, 3G, USB/BT/IRed,Sony Duo, Media Player and unlocked/debranded firmware.
Biggest downfall - its a brick (though I dont mind as I have 128 meg of MP3s on it) I did have to buy a 2.5-3.5 mm headphone adaptor.
Not tried anything more advanced then that.
Think SE k750i may be next but no plans to change at mo - so will decide in future.
Old 1st August, 2005, 09:45 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm currently running a P900 (and have been for over a year now). Kaitain had some experiences with one of the Orange smartphones, and didn't appear to think that much of it.
Old 1st August, 2005, 02:47 PM
AOA Staff

Im still running the B-Berry 7100, but it is getting pretty beat and I have been looking for something else w/ camera and wifi..
Old 1st August, 2005, 06:22 PM
Member/Contributer

I've currently got a K700i and its ok for everyday phone use, but I'd like something that I could use as a PDA as well (rather than having two devices). I've seen one of the SPV models doubling up as a SatNav system with a GPS receiver and software, which would be an extra cost but would be very handy as I drive quite a bit too. Aedan, do you know whether the P910i can do this?
Might have to call Orange tomorrow and see what they can do for me...

AOA Team fah
Old 1st August, 2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

dont have one currently, but as soon as i get my visorphone module my handspring visor prism will be a smartphone....
Old 1st August, 2005, 08:04 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
Aedan, do you know whether the P910i can do this?
It looks like it can Lazgoat, using a piece of software called Route66 or
Wayfinder EuroNavigator™. According to sony ericsson website though you would need to buy some GPS kit... or at least thats my reading

read article here http://www.sonyericsson.com/fun/wxht...ype=promotions

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd August, 2005, 09:55 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

My phone is really really dumb. But heck...I can still dial
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th August, 2005, 09:04 PM

Used to have a P800 as soon as they came out then a Nokia 6600, followed by a 6630 for 10 days and sent it back now I have 7610 with tomtom navigator
Old 5th August, 2005, 02:28 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Kaitain had some experiences with one of the Orange smartphones, and didn't appear to think that much of it.
I had the first-release Orange SPV; that taught me the errors of being an early-adopter. It had approximately the dimensions and mass of a house-brick, the stability of a two-wheeled car, and an unerring capability for generating phantom text messages.

My colleague currently has the SPV C500 and has been dribbling over the upcoming C550 (which no longer works due to water damage). He clearly thinks a lot of them. Of course, all these HTC Corp-based SmartPhones have one common problem: the battery life can be counted in seconds, rather than hours. "The candle that burneth twice as bright..."
Old 5th August, 2005, 09:28 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Of course, all these HTC Corp-based SmartPhones have one common problem: the battery life can be counted in seconds, rather than hours. "The candle that burneth twice as bright..."
I've heard the battery life isn't that bad for (3-4 days with an hours talk time each day) the SPV M500. I cant seem to find an Orange shot with one in stock so I can get a a feel of it.
The SPV M2000 has great features but the price..

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2005, 06:46 PM

I just got a K750i, is that classed as a smartphone these days?

I like it a lot, plus the camera is brilliant for taking spur of the moment shots of random things!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2005, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmyarse
I just got a K750i, is that classed as a smartphone these days?

I like it a lot, plus the camera is brilliant for taking spur of the moment shots of random things!
not really but it is a great little phone, my wife has one and i love it, a smart phone as far as I understand is a phone that has an open operating system such as symbian or ms mobile which allows people to develop software easily, im not 100% on that but thats my take on it?
Old 18th August, 2005, 09:46 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Typically a smartphone is one that merges the functionality of a PDA with the functionality of a cell/mobile phone. Whilst the K750i provides some of that functionality, it doesn't really compete at all in the PDA functions.
Old 18th August, 2005, 09:50 PM

Like the K700i, the K750i doesn't use a Symbian OS but a custom SonyEricsson one. It will, however, support J2ME java applets. Have a look at http://www.getjar.com for some things. Unfortunately they're buggers for not telling you which applets are nagware and which are crippleware.
Old 18th August, 2005, 09:56 PM

Ah right. Thanks for the info! I've always been tempted by the XDA's and other call capable palmtops, but my last palmtop was hardly used apart from casual gaming! I don't really have the need for a personal organiser, the one that comes with most modern phones these days is sufficient for me!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
I've heard the battery life isn't that bad for (3-4 days with an hours talk time each day) the SPV M500.
So say the adverts. I've asked my colleague to time his charge periods. 2 days standby and 2 hours 15 minutes talktime. This doubles if he removes the RS-MMC from it; pretty similar to my experience with the original SPV-brick.
Old 19th August, 2005, 11:49 AM
Member/Contributer

I've just received my M500 and it really is very very different to the "media phones" aka S700, K750i etc. Its slightly bigger and heavier too, but hte functionality is in another league to most phones. Only had it two days so cant comment on the battery life yet....

AOA Team fah
Old 19th August, 2005, 05:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
My phone is really really dumb. But heck...I can still dial
With that kind of attitude there's nothing you can not do!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic