AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2005, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

Network Hub Mod

I'm tempted to mod my hub. i'm just not sure how to mod, i could do it the traditional case mod style, paint job, perhaps a window, glow tubes, a fan or two. ooorrr do it the wild and crazy trek fanatic way. which might mean i break my hub.

Quite a while ago, some guys from MIT took a teddy bear and merged it with a hub, unfortunately they shut their website down but thanks to Google's Chache we can see it still.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...dyborg/+&hl=en

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...borg/%22&hl=en

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...g2.html+&hl=en

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...+borg%22&hl=en

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...+borg%22&hl=en

so what do you guys think? btw i suggest we get a mod section for things that aren't cases. I'm also attaching scans of my hub so you can see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Network Hub Mod-inside.jpg   Network Hub Mod-front.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2005, 03:59 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I vote you add some funky cathode lights and paint those chips with UV reacant paint, then add a window.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th December, 2005, 12:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Oh wow - that's an old design! I haven't seen anything with 10Base2 or AUI on it for many many years now.
Old 4th December, 2005, 01:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

That bear is really cool.

Now im temped to do something stupid like that.

Now when girls walk into gamer/nerds house's and they see a modem beside the phone they instantly bail. What if, we put the modem inside a bear?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 4th December, 2005, 05:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

let's just put everything in a bear! get a big enough stuffed animal and we can stuff it with the monitor, or put the tower into a stuffed something like these guys did to ET, http://mini-itx.com/projects/etpc/

Old 4th December, 2005, 06:58 PM

i've just been giving the hub a second layer of paint, and i thought, where would i get the power to power the lights? i think some how i'd be able to tap into the hub's natural power but i have no idea where i'd have to solder stuff to. mind you i'll have to find small enough light tubes, and aquire a soldering gun. for now, a paint job will suffice, then when i go home for the christmas break, i'll be able to borrow my old high school's power tools to cut a window. not sure whether to do a plain rectangle window, or something to match my tower.

Old 4th December, 2005, 10:43 PM

i've just given it one coat of primer, and two coats of paint. i'm gonna do the main display section the same red as the top. but i'm gonna leave the ports plain and let the lights still be able to be seen. sorry for the crappyness of my pic. i don't own a digital camera so i just used my scanner.
Attached Thumbnails
Network Hub Mod-post-paint.jpg  

Old 6th December, 2005, 04:37 AM

Posting another scan, this time of the inside of the lid, i've marked a black rectangle wher i'm going to cut, i've done pilot holes in the corners, i've even tried my hand at a little engraving in the middle of the scrap. yay!
Attached Thumbnails
Network Hub Mod-cutting.jpg  

Old 6th December, 2005, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

You, sir, are the man.

You're the first person I've ever seen do any sort of visual modding to a network appliance and you're also the first person I've seen take 'photographs' with a scanner. Bravo.
Old 6th December, 2005, 03:07 PM

I do what i can with i what i got.

Old 6th December, 2005, 09:42 PM

you mean others have modded a network appliance other than a visual type mod? how would one go about doing that?

Old 6th December, 2005, 10:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Hey dude!

Gotta say I am loving (seriously) the like chipped paint on the front of that

I always think that things like that look awesome, like that HL2 modded machine from a little while ago.

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 6th December, 2005, 10:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
you mean others have modded a network appliance other than a visual type mod? how would one go about doing that?
Well, for one example, the Linksys WRT54G is very extensible. It's the largest selling embedded linux device in the world and plenty of people have made custom firmware for it. With custom firmware, you can give it many features that it doesn't normally have like using it as a NAT device.
Old 6th December, 2005, 10:30 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Just a suggestion, but how about some rust and bullet holes. Some kind of industrial look.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th December, 2005, 10:34 PM
AOA's resident barman

Pitch you're on my wave length ! Stuff like that always looks funky

8 kByte S-RAM

Old 6th December, 2005, 10:45 PM

i've actually fixed up the front, the "chipped paint" was merely paint that slipped under the tape, i've since then painted the front panel red. i'll be making some stencils in a Klingon font, so i can relabel the network ports. then i shall be putting an AOA Case badge on it

if some of you know of a location online that i can get a "map" of the electrical systems on the hardware so i will know where to solder the power wires of what ever lighting system i decide to use will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and here's a ScanPic of my first fully cut side.
Attached Thumbnails
Network Hub Mod-first-cut.jpg   Network Hub Mod-front.jpg  

Old 9th December, 2005, 08:35 PM

Due to a recent 24hour quiet rule at the dorms, due to exams i am unable to continue my cutting till i get to my mom's next weekend. So no new progress till next saturday. If you guys have any suggestions as to how i should light the system, please give me a shout.

Old 12th December, 2005, 06:41 AM

well, since i have very limited knowledge at electrical systems on different things, i was wondering if you guys could analyse these scans of the interior hardware, and suggest where i would solder my lighting into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Network Hub Mod-bottom.jpg   Network Hub Mod-top.jpg  

Old 12th December, 2005, 01:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The most natural place would be to come right off the power connector. However, there are a couple things you have to consider: the voltage required by the lights, and the current draw.

Odds are that whatever brick is used to power that hub, even if it happens to be the right voltage, is working at or near capacity now. Adding the additional draw of lights could very well exceed its capabilities.

So, first things first. The power brick should be labeled according to its output voltage and current ratings. What are they?

Second, what voltage do the lights require, and what is their rated current draw?

Also, does the hub indicate on its label what its voltage and current ratings are?
Old 12th December, 2005, 01:42 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Get your air rifle and some 0.8mm steel and shoot the hell out of it.
Flat head .22 make good realistic holes.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah