AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th December, 2005, 06:04 PM
AOA Staff

Sony PSP firmware 2.6

I see there's some new firmware as of 29th November.

Anyone tried it?

I see it has some new RSS newsfeed feature.
Old 5th December, 2005, 06:07 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I'll have a look later and get back to you.
Old 5th December, 2005, 06:47 PM
AOA Staff

Just flashed mine but it won't start until the battery is charged up more. LOL
Old 5th December, 2005, 08:08 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

OK just got home and updated mine. Great thing about this battery extension pack I've got is that even after ages playing music and games on the plane, it was still about 60% charged.

OK there are 3 changes, two may be useful to you, one probably isn't. The less useful change is that the web browser now has Chinese language support.

The two useful ones are support for RSS2.0 feeds and for WMA playback. They're handy, but not that handy.

To enable WMA playback you first need to connect to activate WMA support in the System Settings menu. This takes you through another user licence agreement and does something in the background. After that, WMA is (partly) supported.

To test I ripped a couple of tracks off a CD with Windows Media Player, one unprotected and one copy protected. The unprotected track plays just fine, the copy-protected track doesn't. I haven't yet played with dropping the copy-protection key into various directories to see if the PSP picks it up, though I'm guessing it doesn't.

The RSS2.0 feed feature is a nifty utility to get news, audio, pictures and stuff that update periodically to your PSP without going to all the trouble of downloading a full web-page every time. Note that I'm stressing it's RSS2.0 - this is different from RSS, though I have no idea what the difference really is. From the looks of things, Sony's intending this to be a way to stream music on the PSP. Apparently it ignores anything other than streaming audio, so it's not a way of getting the latest AOA updates on the PSP, sadly.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony PSP firmware 2.6-dsc00638.jpg   Sony PSP firmware 2.6-dsc00639.jpg   Sony PSP firmware 2.6-dsc00640.jpg  

Last edited by Kaitain; 5th December, 2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Corrected
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2005, 08:50 PM
AOA Staff

At the moment I find the BBC News PDA version works nicely. It's not RSS, but fits the display well and loads up quick.