AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Mobile Devices and Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd June, 2008, 01:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Configuring user access Active Directory - Windows Server 2003

Setting up a server for my clients to use for remote back up.

IE: Client pays me $50 per month for access via Remote Desktop to my server where they can save files in there home directory (a mapped network drive).

I can create users and what not and login through that. However, how can I disable things like, access to C:\, access to run command, etc etc. So all the client can access, is pretty much their home directory with full read/write access.

Is this setup possible?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2008, 11:44 PM
Member/Contributer

It is possible.

You need to setup the drives so instead of using Remote desktop, you use mapped shares.

You can also restrict access to components - but by allowing Remote login, you are unable to restrict access to the C:\, and anything else windows deems necessary for someone to be able to log directly into the server.

Using something like VNC you may be able to restrict access but I don't know the in's and out's of all of it.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd June, 2008, 12:06 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Just do SMB shares + IPSec with share level security...? I don't see why you need to use VNC, remote login, or anything of that sort. IPSec will secure everything and make sure no one tries to brute force the SMB share passwords, and SMB will only let the people get at the shares that they are allowed to access. No C:\ access, no application access, just file sharing.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 23rd June, 2008, 02:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

SMB HOWTO

like this????
Old 23rd June, 2008, 05:12 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Well, that's a Linux FAQ for Samba. I could give some great help for you there, as I've got a Samba NAS on my home network, but since you're using Windows Server 2003 I can't really help.

I'm no good with IPSec, but from my understanding it would be ideal for this situation. That is, securing an inherently insecure method of data transfer (aka Samba).

Of course, if you could get a SSH client/server model running and could use SFTP....that would be just about the best thing you could do. However, this is almost entirely in the domain of *nixes. There are a few ports to Windows, but nothing too spectacular, IMO.

---
I just thought of another option. FTP over implicit SSL/TLS. This would give security that would rival SFTP, and would also be compatible with most FTP clients. However, I have never set up FTP over SSL/TLS and would be of no real use in helping you with it.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North