AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th October, 2002, 04:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Linux 8.1 Professional is on the way!

Slaps forehead. Shuh, it's SuSE 8.1 Professional. "Linux 8.1" is a bit generic.

Being the first on your block always costs more. Ouch.
I should have the distro on this coming Monday. Great! Yet I'm sick-- with some kind of flu, AFAIK. This makes the prospect of mix 'n matching a boatload of components ugly. All-in-one mainboards make the Mighty L very uninstallable. It's freakin' typical that I'm ill at the important moment.

Don't get old. Better still, don't abuse yourself while you're young. End of "wisdom."

Last edited by cloasters; 12th October, 2002 at 04:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th October, 2002, 07:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If we wait until we'er old to abuse ourselves, mightn't we have to rely upon others to abuse us!? I'm for free and independent self abuse at all ages!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2002, 04:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

Will it be a 'run from CD' distro or an actual full install version? I'd be glad to see a full version to tinker with. I'm getting ready to install MDK 9.0 here this evening (finally got an overburn to take )
Old 13th October, 2002, 07:47 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

As always with SuSE, there's 3 versions available:

Personal - the basic 3 CDs with the operating system, window managers, KOffice and Ximian applications and a few other widgets.

Professional - has more stuff than you'll ever need - 5 GB worth, on 7 CDs or 1 DVD. Does feature more development libraries and better versions of some servers (Apache, etc) and manuals

LiveEVAL - this is the run-from-CD version. In reality it's supposed to be try-before-you-buy.

As usual, the only one for which a cd iso's available is the live-eval, the others being store-bought or installed over the network.
Old 13th October, 2002, 08:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

SuSE is less than...generous as far as ISO's are concerned. I love SuSE, therefore I'm happy to pay for it. SuSE really crosses the "t's" and dots the "i's."

It's supposed to be at Best Buy, or perhaps it's CompUSA, on the 23rd. I need an up to date distro that includes nearly everything, so I spent ~$11 extra to have the Professional version delivered via UPS. Tomorrow, I hope!

This is a weird flu bug that I have. One day, misery. The next day not much evidence of it. Happily, I used a trick that I only recently learned to move pins within the plugs that go from your front panel LED's to your mainboard. For $63, shipped, the ECS K7S5A is a great deal.

BUT, it has a non-standard 2-Pin connector for the Power LED's plug to mate with. If I couldn't have slipped the pin out of my case's NORMAL 3-Pin Power LED plug and moved it over one space, I was NOT gonna butcher my PC P&C Mid's front panel wires. The Enlight 7237's front panel Power LED already was cut and taped for a previous K7S5A. The Enlight is SUCH a pos, it kinda deserves abuse, IMO!

Bruddah, I'm so glad that I didn't need to completely switch over all of the components between cases! Sheesh, I go on like the Battery Bunny!
Old 15th October, 2002, 01:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

My first post from SuSE 8.1 Professional. Ach, du lieber! Amazing, really. Was told that my configuration for my modem/router/ISP vas all messed up a few minutes ago. Too early to tell, but I have a soft spot for SuSE. Not because I have German ancestry mixed in with the Scottish and French and WTH else. I like SuSE 'cause it's what Linux is supposed to be. Rock solid und no messink about!
Old 15th October, 2002, 10:33 AM

Es freut mich dass Sie zufrieden mit SuSE 8,1 sind
Old 15th October, 2002, 11:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
Es freut mich dass Sie zufrieden mit SuSE 8,1 sind
Mein Deutsch ist wirklich schlecht, aber ich bin für ihn auch glücklich.

Cheesy BabelFish Translation. It lost everything I wanted to say except that my german sux.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Southern Man; 15th October, 2002 at 12:02 PM.
Old 18th October, 2002, 02:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

SuSE 8.1 is nothing less than amazing. The last distro I had was SuSE 7.0. It was easy to install, on par with Win98SE more or less.

Hello SuSE 8.1. This release is a new ball game, its installation was easy enough for a person that's completely new to Linux. It happily decided on peaceful co-existence partition table while a small SE installation was on this machine. I didn't like it. It made the Win partition too big. So I aborted the installation, then took care of the hard drive. I want this to be a Linux-only box anyway. No running back to Billy if things get rough. No dual-boot, baby!

It has foibles, naturally. If you want SuSE 8.1 to be the only OS on yer box, it's better to pre-partition, then format your HDD as one large FAT32 partition.

I suppose that if you're not used to partitioning a HDD, SuSE 8.1 could be seen as difficult. And a giant FAT32 partition seems a bit weird if you want to install Linux. It's always something.

The OS is almost shockingly GUI accessable. After learning my way around a bit, I discover that many things that needed to be done in an X-Term before are addressable by fill in the boxes and point and click. That's a genuine Gasper!

And nothing in KDE is broken! Sorry, had to go for the shock effect there. Of course some things in KDE are broken, yet not as many as in the good old days.

One thing that's a bit worrisome: This sucker eats RAM with abandon. A donation of a 512 Mb stick of DDR will be greatly appreciated. Yeah, right. 384 Mb of PC-133(the K7S5A can use both SDR and DDR. Not simultaneously, of course) will prolly not be sufficient. Dear Crucial,... you know that one well enough!

I get a pesky error message to the effect that smpppd is unhappy.
After a few hours of head scratching and investigation, I think I know how to set this right. As access to the Web seems to work fine, I'm a tad reluctant to change things to get rid of this smpppd message.

So far I like SuSE 8.1 Pro a LOT. I have a long way to go to set it up properly, of course. Such is life!
Old 19th October, 2002, 03:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Fixed the cause of the smpppd error message. Didn't hurt anything. Yay!

And then came this afternoon. Fire up the Konqueror browser: "resolving www.bah.blah". OK, let's try Mozilla: "resolving www. my.mama." Uh-oh. Freakin' browsers can't "go" anywhere.

Ah-ha. Something IS wrong with the way I set up the NIC, DSL or something. Change this. Change that. Change this back. Change that back. No more "resolving" and churning forever. Now it's "www. yourlucky.day is unreachable on this...," can't remember the rest.

WTF, over? That's it, enough Linux for today. Shut down the B box.

Fire up the A box. Better sync the time. "There was an error," yeah, what else is new. Try again. "I can't do it, master." What? You need a fat lip or sumthin'? Hmm.
Let's fire up good old IE. "I cain't reach www.salvat.ion." Typical, if I was that slow, I couldn't either. C'mon Opera! "Sorry to inform you, I just can't go anywhere." All right. That's it. You VILL perform as I order you to!!"

No, we shan't.

Hmm. Mongo is thinking that that olde magic Code Red or an offspring has hammered his modem/router. "Reboot" the modem. "Why we're happy to sync your PC's time," etc.

Arrgh. Linux was not at fault. Cisco was. You stinkin' lousy rotten good for" you know how it goes.
Old 20th October, 2002, 06:03 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Once upon a time I spoke German well enough to pass as an Italian or a person from France. One in three folks pegged me as a native English speaker, but I was "passing" pretty often.

Long ago and far away. I'm glad that it makes you happy that I like SuSE 8.1. Thank you, Kaitain and Paul! "Schlecht" is the right word for my present German, too!
Old 25th October, 2002, 12:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I k'yan't get the OS to update manually, through YaST Online Update. Why not try automatisch? I asked myself. Hey, whaddaya know, it's updating itself automatically from SuSE.de! Who'd a thunk Linux would ever update itself so easily?

All well and good. Reboot per the instructions. Welcome back to reality. Problem with NV_something or other and the kernel. X won't start. Uh-oh. As I'm less than an ace with mucking about with the kernel, what shall I do? While some veteran Linuxer's insist that they haven't EVER reinstalled the OS, I had to. Oh well, mighta been a dull Thursday AM otherwise.

I'll avoid the automatic update feature in the future. Looks like it'll be good old fashioned rpm's. Yay.
Old 25th October, 2002, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
I k'yan't get the OS to update manually, through YaST Online Update. Why not try automatisch? I asked myself. Hey, whaddaya know, it's updating itself automatically from SuSE.de! Who'd a thunk Linux would ever update itself so easily?

All well and good. Reboot per the instructions. Welcome back to reality. Problem with NV_something or other and the kernel. X won't start. Uh-oh. As I'm less than an ace with mucking about with the kernel, what shall I do? While some veteran Linuxer's insist that they haven't EVER reinstalled the OS, I had to. Oh well, mighta been a dull Thursday AM otherwise.

I'll avoid the automatic update feature in the future. Looks like it'll be good old fashioned rpm's. Yay.
Oops - looks like it downloaded a bad copy of the NVidia drivers for you. If memory serves, they never were SuSE's strong point, which was where the "manual update" was so good. Don't like SuSE's version of a file? Update conflict with your 3rd party software? Never fear, uncheck the box and let it wend its merry way. I've always found with SuSE it's a good idea to have a recent copy of the latest drivers for your gfx/sound/whatever held in /root so that when you get this sort of mess-up, you can forcibly install a known-to-work version of everything over the top of the broken one.

That would be
Code:
# rpm -ihv <filename>.rpm --force
or something similar. I'm sure Superman will correct my lousy syntax (hopefully)
Old 25th October, 2002, 04:24 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

That's how I always did it

I'd insert a --nodeps in there just for fun tho

Code:
rpm -ivh <filename>.rpm --force --nodeps
And don't let it upgrade anything dealing with nVidia drivers. Always go to the nvidia site and manually install the drivers from the RPMs hosted there. Linux tends to get all crabby when the kernel version doesn't match the module version; can you say "unresolved symbol"

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 25th October, 2002, 10:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you very much for the how-to's, Kaitain and Superman! I don't think that SuSE is at fault with Nvidia's drivers. SuSE's story is that "because of licensing issues, go to Nvidia to get the 3D driver's." Of course, I wish they hadn't given me ANY Nvidia updates at all!

Unfortunately, I can't get the "manual update" to work--at all. Another puzzlement: Why TH aren't security patches among the "automatic" updates??

Live and unlearn.
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
Linux tends to get all crabby when the kernel version doesn't match the module version; can you say "unresolved symbol"
Oh ya! That, I have to say, was always SuSE 8.0's speciality. I spent weeks trying to get the glx kernel and direct rendering stuff for a Radeon 8500 to compile properly, and got "unresolved symbols" every stinking time. Recompiling both kernel and modules didn't help, either
Old 28th October, 2002, 10:41 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Oh ya! That, I have to say, was always SuSE 8.0's speciality. I spent weeks trying to get the glx kernel and direct rendering stuff for a Radeon 8500 to compile properly, and got "unresolved symbols" every stinking time. Recompiling both kernel and modules didn't help, either
I can't get my good friend the 2.4.19 kernel to spit out ipconfig modules that work at the moment

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 30th October, 2002, 02:23 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

SuSE 8.1 is actually spooky. I marvelled at what a RAM hog it is after I first installed it. Two weeks later, there is usually a LOT of free RAM. Is it that Halloween is soon upon us? Or does this OS improve its "attitude," given a little time? Strange, I'm thinking.
Old 30th October, 2002, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
SuSE 8.1 is actually spooky. I marvelled at what a RAM hog it is after I first installed it. Two weeks later, there is usually a LOT of free RAM. Is it that Halloween is soon upon us? Or does this OS improve its &quot;attitude,&quot; given a little time? Strange, I'm thinking.
You have to remember that Linux uses RAM in a different way than Windows. It's really quite odd - memory can be reported as completely filled, but with no slow down in the system becase all that's happened is the system's allocated it ready for use :/
Old 31st October, 2002, 01:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
You have to remember that Linux uses RAM in a different way than Windows. It's really quite odd - memory can be reported as completely filled, but with no slow down in the system becase all that's happened is the system's allocated it ready for use :/
Thank you for the head's-up, Kaitain! Come to think of it, I had very little free RAM after tussling with OpenOffice this AM-- yet no apparent slowing down. I'm thinking that I don't like OpenOffice at this point. Its word processing interface looks just as kerappy as StarOffice 5.1, which is olde! As I don't need pie charts and presentation capability, it's very tempting to give OpenOffice the boot. It's pulling stupid little tricks, and I don't know how to fix them. If I can't fix them soon, StarOffice 5.1 is bought and paid for.

If I wasn't a cheapskate I'd buy WordPerfect for Linux! Thanks again for the information!