AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th February, 2003, 07:19 PM

Linux routing question

Ok, I want to be able to route internet access to my home network through two modems in one machine. I live in the country and a 24k connection is about all I can get out here, due to the phone companies switchbox(it dates from the second world war era). Is there a proggy for Linux that will utilize both modems as a single data pipe? Or perhaps just use one to send and one to receive? I'm looking at running Red Hat 8, as downloading a newer distro is essentially out of the question on my connect. ANy help or ideas would be appreciated.

Dol
Old 27th February, 2003, 07:54 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Both windows and linux will allow you to have 2 concurrent internet connections. BUT you won't get a single data pipe. The computer that does the load-balancing between two connections will route a particular request down one OR the other internet connection. Although it refers to broadband, this thread is just as valid for modem connections.
Old 27th February, 2003, 08:52 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Sorry Kaitain!

Depending on the router equipment used to answer the calls at your ISP, you might be in luck. Some ISPs charge extra for these extra connections. You'll have to talk to them to find out.

There is a mechanism that allows multiple PPP connections to be identified as a single connection over multiple channels. It's better known as Multilink PPP. You'll obviously need some software on your PC. If you have Windows, then you probably already have it. If you have Linux, then you'll have to find/download it, if it's not part of your distribution.

Áedán

« why?? | mscoree.dll »