AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2003, 07:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Angry wine - Segmentation fault >_<

ok i have installed wine on my linux box.

i have copied just about all of the: fonts, system and systm32, help, inf, and the contents of windows folder (not including all subdirectories) from my 98SE machine...

i tried to install Command & Conquer Red Alert for windows 95/98. when i tried to run the setup.exe wit the wine command i keep getting:
Segmentation Fault.. i get it with every cd i try in there :'( I even tried Civilisation 2 which is supposed to work on systems as low as win 3.1

I installed from an rpm package and used the winesetuptk to configure wine.

any advice on what i've done wrong what i can do to get it to work?

Solitaire and freecell works just fine

my specs:

Celeron 766 (ggmhz fsb, coppermine core)
319MB ram
10GB hdd
64mb gf4 mx440 pci (latest nvidia drivers)
Mandrake 9.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th October, 2003, 11:30 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
ok i have installed wine on my linux box.

i have copied just about all of the: fonts, system and systm32, help, inf, and the contents of windows folder (not including all subdirectories) from my 98SE machine...

i tried to install Command & Conquer Red Alert for windows 95/98. when i tried to run the setup.exe wit the wine command i keep getting:
Segmentation Fault.. i get it with every cd i try in there :'( I even tried Civilisation 2 which is supposed to work on systems as low as win 3.1

I installed from an rpm package and used the winesetuptk to configure wine.

any advice on what i've done wrong what i can do to get it to work?

Solitaire and freecell works just fine

my specs:

Celeron 766 (ggmhz fsb, coppermine core)
319MB ram
10GB hdd
64mb gf4 mx440 pci (latest nvidia drivers)
Mandrake 9.1
Segfaults are the linux equivalent of "general protection failures" - i.e. the program tried to access something it wasn't allowed to.

The most likely cause of the problem here is the Wine RPM. Wine doesn't lend itself to RPM installation very well; it's possible, but problematic.

Quick check list, to try to remedy this:

1) Did you get the next day's Wine build and try that?
2) Did you get the Wine build with opengl support built in?
3) Did you get a specifically Mandrake build, or a generic one?
4) Have you tried compiling it yourself from source?

If none of that helps then:

5) Does your system suffer segmentation faulting during other tasks, e.g. compiling large applications? (I use either Qt or the alsa modules as a stability test).
6) Does your system suffer from any other oddities - locking up, spontaneous reboots etc?

The only time I've seen segmentation faults occur is when I've messed up my linux system - typically from a bad kernel recompile. However, occasionally badly prepared programs can cause it. On one occasion, the system was overheating, causing programs to segfault spontaneously. Fixing the cooling sorted that out.

If this sort of problem persists, then you might want to throw money at the problem: Codeweavers' Crossover and Transgaming's WineX are both based on Wine, but have a lot of supporting scripts and settings that make running Windows apps a lot easier. If you place any value on your time, you'll find that these programs pay for themselves many times over.
Old 25th October, 2003, 03:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

well i cant try any of that now, every time i boot up im stuck with commandline, it cant load into X server for some reason of not finding something to do with the graphics.

i recently downloaded nvidias latest graphics drivers for linux, i altered the correct config file as indicated on the website, i booted it up and it worked okay. after a reset of the computer it doesnt work :| i'm gonna try reinstalling the graphics drivers again.

i would like to stick the linux boot disk in and just reinstall it clean again, but the floppy drive doesnt seem to work, every floppy i have tried comes up with an error, going to buy a new set of disks to make sure it is the drive and not just crappy disks.

I downloaded the rpm cos i have had only problems trying to compile it, its been ages since i last tried it.

the rpm was for mandrake linux 9.1 or 9.2

well money for me is short, in the form of unpaid 13 hours of work which im sorting when i go in today at 11am (GMT).

My linux system isnt overclocked, i had it running folding about 2 weeks non-stop and no problems, reason i wanted wine on there was to try and install softfsb or cpufsb, which didnt work as cpufsb wanted me to install some vxd, which after further reading on wine website its not meant for VxDs (at least not yet). I havnt tried to compile anything in ages, its not a computer i use much at all, the linux box i have is on a kvm switch with my 3rd rig, the one i got from drow, its got windows and linux on there, I can install my windows apps on there and play my games there. I only use it as a gaming rig though for playing across my little network with my main rig, and also shares the iternet connection so if my brother comes round we can both play renegade online
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2003, 03:50 PM
Member/Contributer

okay, i forced a checkon bootup, it seems to have fixed it can use the kde now
I will see about removing wine and will attempt to compile from source.
Old 18th December, 2003, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

hmm... this may come a bit late as your video drivers are now shot, but if you feel like giving a different wine codebase a go, you might try WineX - available via CVS via:
Quote:
1. cvs -dserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot login
2. When prompted for the password enter "cvs"
3. cvs -z3 -dserver:cvs@cvs.transgaming.org:/cvsroot co winex
Then cd winex, various ./configures, make depend, etc. Transgaming.com (.com here, .org there - it's intentional) also offers prepackaged files, which include copy protection emulation for those games that have weird copy protected CDs (securom, etc.), but it'll cost you - $5 a month. You get to vote on what path development takes and you get technical support, but it's your call - they make most of their code available (they have to, for most of it) via CVS.
Old 18th December, 2003, 07:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

Ohh... just noticed the last post was in October. Heh.
Old 18th December, 2003, 04:34 PM
Member/Contributer

im a windows only person again now..
as for wineX i think you have to pay for it, logging in to their ftp with someone else' password is just wrong
i am a windows only person now for 1 main reason: i couldnt overclock my comps at runtime as the apps i use for them require windows to work.

i have an al440lx mobo and an ~Abit BH something, alth the abit can be overclocked from bios, it often locks up after its reset and just beeps at me.. + it was easier to play games on windows.