AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2004, 10:17 PM

Windows Update error, Message "Undefined"

Ive recently installed Windows XP on a second machine, but when i came to use windows update, in the windows update pane was "Undefined" written in the usual text.

Ive searched the microsoft knowledge base but came up fruitless, ive tried adding SP1 but that dindt do any good so im at a loss as to what the problem is.

Here is a rough mockup of what the screen looks like.

http://www.puce123.force9.co.uk/imag...screenshot.gif

Please help, Mord.
Old 6th February, 2004, 07:14 PM
AOA Staff

Is that an actual screen shot? You can get a snap shot of your screen by using the 'Prt Scr' key, this puts the image into the clipboard so that you can paste it within PaintShop or where ever.

I have encountered the odd problem with Update, which were covered by MS support pages. But not this one.

Did you use the same XP key code on both your machines? If you did that may be the source of the problem, i.e. copy protection.

Do you have any kind of AV or firewall installed?
Old 6th February, 2004, 08:34 PM

The keyboard on my other machine dosnt do prnt scrn oddly enough. But i did manage to visit the window update website and do it that way.

What i dont get is i used 2 diffrent cd keys for both machines, turned off all AV and Firewall software but still all i see on the screen is "Undifined".

Ive never seen anything about this ever its really bizzare.
Old 7th February, 2004, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

possible MS is suffering some mydoom.b attack?

and assuming you are using legal cd keys?
last time i checked xp-pro was quite expensive.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2004, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff

The Windows Update service is up andd running fine.

I think it uses Java Script, which runs in your browser. So, possibly the 'Undefined' is a Java error message. It's hard to see how you might have the wrong version or brand of Java installed if you have only just installed XP on that machine.

Maybe try installing Netscape and then use that browser for your update and see if the same thing happens. Just use the url http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp instead of the update option on the windows menu.
Old 8th February, 2004, 04:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Java and Javascript are two totally different languages. You don't need Java installed to run Javascript. You do need to be able to run ActiveX controls.

You can try flushing the ActiveX control cache to ensure that there's nothing untowards there. You can do that from Tools->Options->Delete files. Double check that your date and time is correct too, as there are certs involved in the process (Having the wrong date can cause the cert to appear to be invalid).