AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2004, 02:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Geforce2 TV Out on Gentoo

Has anyone sucessfully got Geforce2 TVOut working under Linux? I can get a picture up on the TV either with the TV as output, or with TwinView for both TV and Monitor.

However, the colours on the TV are odd, as for some reason the Red and Blue are swapped. Running in TwinView mode, the monitor shows the correct colours, but the TV remains with R and B swapped.

I'm out of ideas right now, and have no idea why this is occuring- any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 14th February, 2004, 03:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry big guy, but this might be a similar problem?

Active desktop F-ing up
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2004, 11:00 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Has anyone sucessfully got Geforce2 TVOut working under Linux? I can get a picture up on the TV either with the TV as output, or with TwinView for both TV and Monitor.

However, the colours on the TV are odd, as for some reason the Red and Blue are swapped. Running in TwinView mode, the monitor shows the correct colours, but the TV remains with R and B swapped.

I'm out of ideas right now, and have no idea why this is occuring- any suggestions are welcomed.
I had TV out working for a GeForce4 - there were big warnings printed on the howto I was reading about conflicts with one or other monitor head (the GF4 I have is dual-headed).

Most important: what version of nvidia drivers are you using? Latest are the 5336 build.

I'm sure you don't need reminding that the GF outputs S-Video, which can be converted to composite or SCART, but that if composite is used, the TV must support it explicitly (it's not the same as RF). You also have to be very explicit in your XF86Config file about which variant of PAL encoding you wish to use, otherwise it'll default to PAL-B. In the UK it's typically PAL-I.
[code] Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"[/i] I'd imagine you've done that already
Old 15th February, 2004, 01:18 PM

Yup, set PAL-I and using SVideo. If the card were encoding to Composite, and the TV looking for SVideo, I'd just get a B&W picture, rather than one with Red and Blue swapped.

SCART is just a connector BTW, not a video standard. As such, SCART supports RGB, SVideo and Composite (and widescreen switching!).

I'll double check which version of the drivers - I just did a gentoo emerge for them about a week ago.
Old 15th February, 2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Sorry big guy, but this might be a similar problem?
Nope, not even close The problem is simply that everything works correctly, EXCEPT that on the TV anything that's red comes out as blue, and anything that's blue comes out as red. Rather makes people's faces a bit cold.
Old 15th February, 2004, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

Are you telling it what monitors are connected? I seem to remember something about the autodetection being a bit strange. You might try:
Code:
Section "Device"
   #Dump the following in your card's device section:
   Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV, CRT" # Or just TV, or "CRT, TV", depending                                                                                        
Also, I know it's already been mentioned, but as far as the composite/svideo thing goes, you can force that using Option "TVOutFormat" ("SVIDEO"/"COMPOSITE").

Good luck!

Last edited by prat; 15th February, 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2004, 05:57 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
SCART is just a connector BTW, not a video standard. As such, SCART supports RGB, SVideo and Composite (and widescreen switching!).
I'm aware of that, but not all SCART devices are created equal. My old TV (inexplicably) swapped the signal and ground pins for each colour channel, so using a "standard" cable resulted in a very weird picture.
Old 15th February, 2004, 07:32 PM

I think I might just give up on the GF2 MX card. Only the GF4 cards seem to support overscan, which would be very useful for my application. Guess I'm gonna go out and get a cheap GF4/FX card of some description, unless anyone's got any better ideas.

Tags
gentoo