AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th June, 2004, 08:13 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

A list of local virus checkers available to Gentoo (and almost certainly to SuSE) is thus:

* app-antivirus/clamav
Latest version available: 0.70
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 2,292 kB
Homepage: http://www.clamav.net/
Description: Clam Anti-Virus Scanner
License: GPL-2

* app-antivirus/f-prot
Latest version available: 4.3.1
Size of downloaded files: 2,178 kB
Homepage: http://www.f-prot.com/
Description: Frisk Software's f-prot virus scanner
License: F-PROT

* app-antivirus/vlnx
Latest version available: 416e
Size of downloaded files: 8,101 kB
Homepage: http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/
Description: McAfee VirusScanner for Unix/Linux(Shareware)
License: VirusScan

There are other virus checkers designed for mail servers, etc. As you can tell, I haven't tried any of these yet, though I could - just for the sake of amusement. You'll notice if you look over the websites that the one for McAfee no longer seems to exist. Clam AV and F-Prot both claim in the region of 200k known viruses, but if you look into their database, all bar about 100 are Windows viruses. In addition, if you look at the way these virus checkers are used, they mostly don't scan local files in the way that Windows virus checkers do; rather, they scan incoming and outgoing email (mostly for the protection of Windows users).

Virus checkers on Linux are typically considered unnecessary - there are many arguments in either direction, but typically they follow this one:

* You would need root/superuser access to install the virus
* You would need to know the directory structure of the system being infected (i.e. what's in root's $PATH?)
* All installations are initiated by the user - Linux does nothing in the background where installation is concerned.
* NO REGISTRY - settings are scattered across thousands of config files. You'd need to know which one to hit and where it is
* Nothing autoruns without some form of confirmation or log entry
* etc

With respect to firewalls, you already have one! Almost all Linux "firewalls" are simply configuration programs for IPTables, which is built into most kernels. SuSE provide their own configuration utility for IPTables, but you'll have to read the manual for how to use it.

Last edited by Kaitain; 15th June, 2004 at 08:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2004, 02:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Thanks for the info Katain. Regarding the firewall, I turned it on but assume its already configured. (adean talked about editing the rules.)

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2004, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't know with SuSE. I know Mandrake's firewall configurator of choice, Shorewall defaults to "allow all". I'll see if I can find my old SuSE 7.3 manuals to check.
Old 16th June, 2004, 09:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

* You would need root/superuser access to install the virus
Unless there's a vulnerability in a service running as root (or a service running as a low level user and a kernel bug), at which point it's not hard to get root. Most compromised Linux systems are typically compromised in this way, although things like vulnerable clients are a possibility too.

* You would need to know the directory structure of the system being infected (i.e. what's in root's $PATH?)
Or, you replace a binary such as init, which is almost always in the same place.

* All installations are initiated by the user - Linux does nothing in the background where installation is concerned.
See the first point and last point again.

* NO REGISTRY - settings are scattered across thousands of config files. You'd need to know which one to hit and where it is
A virus/trojan doesn't need to write a config file, in the same way that a virus/trojan under DOS doesn't need to write to a config file. Just modify a binary that's run at start-up (Such as command.com under DOS, or init under Linux)

Unless it's in a browser or other client program. Also, see the first point.
Old 16th June, 2004, 02:17 PM

Unless there's a vulnerability in a service running as root (or a service running as a low level user and a kernel bug), at which point it's not hard to get root. Most compromised Linux systems are typically compromised in this way, although things like vulnerable clients are a possibility too.
At risk of quibbling the definition of virus, I seriously doubt that a virus checker will protect any vulnerable system against infection by a worm, or a motivated kiddie with a script (largely the same thing). All a virus checker does is check, at some point after infection, whether a file has been infected, and whether it can be fixed. To protect against worm infection, the rule is always the same: keep your system up to date!

In fact, a virus checker will leave you with a false sense of security in this instance, since you will believe your system is secure despite the fact that it may be running old, out of date, unpatched and insecure programs.

If you want to ensure that you capture a worm/virus infection immediately, the tool to use is not a virus checker, but "Tripwire" - an intrusion detection system that shouts if system files change. In the event that either init, or the kernel are poisoned, then even the virus checker would become suspect.
Unless it's in a browser or other client program.
Browser security is always fun A cautious user should always have a "deny all" policy on cookies, adding trusted sites to a whitelist - Mozilla and Firefox have this ability. Plugins should require authorisation first. Javascript and Java should be off unless you really want it - would be nice if that could be done on a per-site basis, too...

In short, provided you take proper care in the set up of your system, you don't do Stupid Things As Root (the ultimate system-killer), you don't leave system files world-writeable, you have in place some sort of network security, and you turn unused services off, then a virus checker is just wasted RAM.
Old 16th June, 2004, 04:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
All a virus checker does is check, at some point after infection, whether a file has been infected, and whether it can be fixed. To protect against worm infection, the rule is always the same: keep your system up to date!
Most modern virus checkers have an 'on-access' mode, where they scan as data is written/read from the disk. That way, they can trap the attempt to write the data to the disk in the first place, before the virus even gets a chance to be active.
Old 16th June, 2004, 05:58 PM

Sounds like 2 very intelligent opinions. Thanks for the post.

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

Old 16th June, 2004, 08:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I seem to learn something every time you two get together. Not all that I perhaps should mind you, but something of value never the less. Thank you.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th June, 2004, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Most modern virus checkers have an 'on-access' mode, where they scan as data is written/read from the disk. That way, they can trap the attempt to write the data to the disk in the first place, before the virus even gets a chance to be active.
There is that. However the only "on-access" scanner I can find at the moment is the "clamuko" engine using Clam Antivirus and the (very experimental) dazuko module. If you have any other suggestions for one?

On an aside, both f-prot and Clam Antivirus work nicely in their on-demand console only form - very quick for what they do
Old 2nd July, 2004, 01:35 AM
Member/Contributer

After my little adventure into Knoppix I decided (thanks to this thread) to journey into SUSE.... Not a bad choice. I thought there was going to be problems from the setup BUT when it was all loaded and ready to go.. it was just that. Ready to go. I thought the DCHP wasn't going to work. I have it networked through my MS-XP box now. I have plans to network everything through the Linux box when I get comfortable enough with the O/S.

I installed it on a box that has a 266mhz chip and has almost 300mhz of DRAM installed. It is a little slow but gets through most tasks in good time.

D~ This installed on the first try, acts a lot like windows, and has a spellcheck just like IESpell. It even highlites questionable words as you type in this window. Now I can live with that.

I have been very frustrated with every install of Linux to date. It is nice to have one go on and work so well.

Now... I just need to learn how to work it all. I think I'm a convert as of tonight.
----------------------------------------------

Old 2nd July, 2004, 02:08 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Tell me it works like that 95% of the time with differing gear, or that if it doesn't work for me I won't have to spend HOURS and HOURS trying to resolve issues or get into command line just to adjust my font, that sort of thing, and when I get some bucks I'll give her a try. What I want from an OS is transparency, speed and of course reliability. What I don't what an OS to particularly do is take up much of my time spent thinking.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 2nd July, 2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old 2nd July, 2004, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Tell me it works like that 95% of the time with differing gear, or that if it doesn't work for me I won't have to spend HOURS and HOURS trying to resolve issues or get into command line just to adjust my font, that sort of thing, and we I get some bucks I'll give her a try. What I want from an OS is transparency, speed and of course reliability. What I don't what an OS to particularly do is take up much of my time spent thinking.":O}
I'll let you know as time goes by but so far I have been on about 2 hrs, set up the I/M client, and adjusted a few settings and haven't lost my temper once. That is a record by anyones standards.

If you have an old box sitting around try what I did and just set it up to run as an alternative system. I have it running off of an old 4 gig "BigFoot" drive and with all of my spare parts installed just to make it work. Since I have installed it I haven't spent a moment on the XP or the 2000 system. My mind is set.... I'm a penguin guy from this point on. I may keep Billy around to bounce on but I'm going to force myself to use this box till I know the system. <grrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Game Face>

Oh... keep the wallet in the pocket... it's a free download. Google "Linux ISO" and you will find a site that allows you to download just about any Linux Distro. free and legal. SUSE 9.1 was about 700mb and took about 35mins.

Old 2nd July, 2004, 03:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm glad you've found your OS! I think I'll let you get three months ahead of me.":O}

I can dig up a spare hard drivefrom somewhere and run it as a seprate system. Let us know how your doing!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd July, 2004, 11:01 AM

Free Free

http://www.novell.com/community/linu...sourceid=uscin

- SUSE LINUX Standard Server 8.0
- SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional
- Ximian Desktop 2.0
- Ximian Red Carpet
- Novell Linux Services 1.0
- Novell GroupWise for Linux 1.0
- and more...

Now you have no excuse not to try Daniel! Free copy of 9.1 professional, 10 gigs of total software! I know a couple of people who already received their order, so it's not a fake. ENJOY

AOA Team fah

Old 2nd July, 2004, 01:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1
http://www.novell.com/community/linu...sourceid=uscin

- SUSE LINUX Standard Server 8.0
- SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional
- Ximian Desktop 2.0
- Ximian Red Carpet
- Novell Linux Services 1.0
- Novell GroupWise for Linux 1.0
- and more...

Now you have no excuse not to try Daniel! Free copy of 9.1 professional, 10 gigs of total software! I know a couple of people who already received their order, so it's not a fake. ENJOY
Lets not scare him now.... you start throwing out a bunch of software titles at us noobs and we start to panic and want to run back to Billy.

It looks like a fine offer but for now I'm going to stick with baby steps and learn to walk. I'm one of the LEAST computer savvy people here. My hope is that if I can get through this and cut the umbilical cord with Billy, then Daniel~ and others, who have a little more knowledge, will think..."If he can do it, so can I".

Old 2nd July, 2004, 05:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I ordered it, but...It's on DVD, which I no gots!

Daniel Edgar,

Thank you for ordering the Linux Technical Resource Kit from the Novell Customer Communities. Your order has been received, and will ship within the next 7-10 business days.

This comprehensive Novell Linux collection includes the following on 3 DVDs (10 GB):

- SUSE Linux Professional 9.1 (Bootable Installation DVD)

- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 (ISO Installation Images)

- SUSE Linux Professional 8.2 (Installation ISO images for use with Ximiam Desktop)

- Ximian Desktop 2.0 Evaluation (ISO Image)

- Red Carpet 2.0.2 Evaluation (ISO Image)

- GroupWise for Linux 6.5.1 - Server, Client & Messenger (ISO Images)

- Novell Nterprise Linux Services 1.0 (ISO Image & NLS Companion CD)

- And more...

Please contact kwright@novell.com if you have any questions about your order.

Sincerely,

Novell Customer Communities
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd July, 2004, 03:04 AM

No worries, you can use it later. Hard to beat a free copy of Suse professional when the same thing is $89 at Best Buy. The other programs are just freebies.

AOA Team fah

Old 3rd July, 2004, 04:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's what I'm thinking, DVD RW's are getting cheaper every month! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur