AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th June, 2004, 04:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Suse Linux 9.1 Professional

Just installed this on a separate drive from Win2K setup. So far, I rather like it. It seems to have detected and installed most of my NF7 hardware properly. I'm going to play with this for the next few weeks and see if I can migrate my Win2K needs over to this. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. Right now my only Linux experience is with RedHat 7 on our proxy server at work. I have to mess with that system so seldom that I have to relearn everything I know about Linux all over again every time I do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2004, 05:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Sigh. First problem.

YaST says that the sound system is installed, but not running, and it can't seem to get it running. It shows that I have the nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) installed, but that it is not running. All of the information I can find on the net indicates that it either should work with the 2.6 kernel already or that I need to download the nVidia drivers. I'm confused?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th June, 2004, 05:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hey Gizmo, did ya try rebooting the machine?
Old 6th June, 2004, 05:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Hey Gizmo, did ya try rebooting the machine?

No. Wait a sec.
That did the trick. Thanks for the response, Gizmo. That was FAST!
Old 6th June, 2004, 02:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

LOL, good luck Gizmo. I get frustrated every time I play with Linux. Think I need to take some "basic" class at the tech school when I get time.

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Old 11th June, 2004, 03:29 PM

Read a review on Suse 9.1 on Arstechnica, seems pretty solid system and good for a new guy like me. Was planning on getting the personal edition though.

My only experience with linux was Redhat 9xx. Installed it on my wifes old 733 Dell and didnt have "too" many problems, but got confused really fast, although it is folding still to this day!

I guess my main question is personal vs professional. I kind of want personal to play with that "live CD" they offer but eventually want to set up a web server and maybe some other networking stuff. Most of that is covered by professional. I'm pretty sure I can add Apache anytime I want, can I add the other stuff as well via packages? If so, whats the benefit of professional other than the superb documentation?

I'll be picking it up this afternoon and working on it sometime Sunday.......any advice?

How do you like the professional Gizmo? Oh, nice jump in your folding BTW

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

Old 11th June, 2004, 04:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

TBH, I haven't had much chance to really play with it. It doesn't seem to be picking up my RAID controller (AMI MegaRAID 1500 Enterprise) and I haven't quite figured out why. It seems to know something is out there, because it has four logical drives attached to it, and Linux comes up on my SATA drive as HDE, but I can't seem to find HDA, HDB, HDC, or HDD (which are, I presume, the four logical drives on my SCSI controller).

Right now I'm working on a contract programming job for a guy, so I haven't had a chance to play with it too much, because my development environment is Microsoft Visual Studio. I'm hoping that WINE has evolved enough to work with it, otherwise I'll have to keep a Windows boot partition or run Win4Lin or have a separate development machine for Windows. At some point, I'd like to move away from the Microsoft Dev Studio stuff as well, but I'm not there yet.

As for Pro over Personal, I bought Pro partly for the docs and also because I wanted all of the goodies already on the system, since I am new to Linux. Yes, you can by Personal and (AFAIK) get all of the goodies as packages to install later, but that means you have to figure out how to find and install everything. I'm not at that point yet, and when I get to that point, I'll probably be ready to move to something like Gentoo.
Old 11th June, 2004, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds about like what I expected. I figure personal will give me enough base knowledge to let me understand the "help" and "man" pages a little better. Just need a better working knowledge of the command line stuff and go from there. I hope to get a good starting point from this. I have zero programming experience (unless you count "basic" from the Commodore64 days ) So having to break all my Windows bad habits. Guess you could say it's more of a hobby/challenge for me when I get spare time.

Good luck, I'll let you know how my experience goes

AOA Team fah

Old 11th June, 2004, 07:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ya know one fine day in the near future a complete newbie is going to show up and post that they've just installed Linux on their hot new machine, all went fine and now they are looking for tweaks.

When that day comes I'm going to be so all over Linux!! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 11th June, 2004, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually, for mainstream hardware, Linux seems to be there now AFAICT. For people who use something a bit off the beaten path (like SCSI RAID controllers), things are a bit more problematic.

However, the problem with my SCSI controller surprises me, since they are commonly used in servers which is where Linux is used most.
Old 11th June, 2004, 10:42 PM
Member/Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1
Read a review on Suse 9.1 on Arstechnica, seems pretty solid system and good for a new guy like me. Was planning on getting the personal edition though.

I guess my main question is personal vs professional. I kind of want personal to play with that "live CD" they offer but eventually want to set up a web server and maybe some other networking stuff. Most of that is covered by professional. I'm pretty sure I can add Apache anytime I want, can I add the other stuff as well via packages? If so, whats the benefit of professional other than the superb documentation?
If you haven't picked up your copy yet, I would HIGHLY recommend the pro version. One if your fairloy new to linux the books alone are worth the price. Two there some programs that come with the pro version that I feel ar needed like gcc. You CAN download them, but even at 768 dsl your talking awhile..
I have both pro versions of 9.0 (deskyop) and 9.1 (laptop). If I can help just let me know.. Not to advertise but if you go on Suse's website there are a whole bunch of listserve groups that I find absolutly important..
512 (2x256)mg Twinmos/Winbond PC 3200 + a meg of something else???
MSI TI4200 VTD64
350w PSU
Suse Linux 10.1^2
Old 13th June, 2004, 08:34 PM

Much appreciated. Just got back from my trip and already purchased the "personal", not happy with the manual at all...... not nearly big enough, lol.

hopefully the 9.1 has the manual on the CD. Looking back at the Arstechnica article, the manual they praised was version 9.0. Was really looking forward for a nice "paper" manual, but now I'll take one on CD if it's there.

Will install once this folding packet finishes, 10 min or so, thanks for the offer.

AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2004, 03:45 AM

I must say that I'm a PROUD owner of a dual-boot machine and currently posting from LINUX. Successfully loaded Suse 9.1, and it works great! Really like the messenger (Kpete) because it shows all my messenger clients at once (YIM and MSN) pretty darn cool. Oh, and of course it's folding

Time to Paws: What do you use for anti-virus? I got the firewall configured but not sure about anti virus.

AOA Team fah

Old 14th June, 2004, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I'm posting AGAIN, lol. I must say I LOVE this OS so far, although I must admit I haven't done anything challenging on it yet so far

Figured out the antivirus question, it's NOT needed, at least according to the user guide.

Now I just need to figure out how to install Americas Army on it, a bin vice package.................. and yes I'm really THAT much of a Rook.

later, Bill

AOA Team fah

Old 15th June, 2004, 12:01 PM
Member/Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1
Yeah, I'm posting AGAIN, lol. I must say I LOVE this OS so far, although I must admit I haven't done anything challenging on it yet so far

Figured out the antivirus question, it's NOT needed, at least according to the user guide.

Now I just need to figure out how to install Americas Army on it, a bin vice package.................. and yes I'm really THAT much of a Rook.

later, Bill
Great.. Yeah there are a lot of things that ar not needed in linux.. Defrag utilities, spyware removers, anti-virus prog.. etc...

Is A.A. a linux install or is it a windows game trying to run under wine?
512 (2x256)mg Twinmos/Winbond PC 3200 + a meg of something else???
MSI TI4200 VTD64
350w PSU
Suse Linux 10.1^2
Old 15th June, 2004, 02:37 PM
AOA Staff

I am kinda disapointed with Debian 10, its seems awful bloated
Is the new Suse lookin fat too? I guess I will just havta try it..

seems like run from CD distro's are gunning for the svelt OS catagory with hard drive installs now, while the main distros go the way of the window choking down worstations for simple tasks
Old 15th June, 2004, 04:50 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyjoe
I am kinda disapointed with Debian 10, its seems awful bloated
Is the new Suse lookin fat too? I guess I will just havta try it..

seems like run from CD distro's are gunning for the svelt OS catagory with hard drive installs now, while the main distros go the way of the window choking down worstations for simple tasks
Debian 10??? I know Mandrake released a version 10, but Debian I thought were still in the 3.xx range

If you mean Mandrake 10, then yes, the bloat's been there since version 9.1 and getting progressively worse. In large part this is due to the latest versions of KDE and Gnome, which are inflating like an unbacked currency, but Mandrake has always felt a little slow compared to the rest...
Old 15th June, 2004, 04:56 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time to Paws
Great.. Yeah there are a lot of things that ar not needed in linux.. Defrag utilities, spyware removers, anti-virus prog.. etc...
Linux partitions can still suffer from fragmentation. Antivirus is definately needed, as there are viruses, trojans and worms for it. Personal firewall is also a good idea, unless you're good at turning services off. (Linux has a built in firewall, but you really need to find a program to edit the rules - doing it by hand is especially nasty.)

Spyware has yet to come, but it will. Spyware cookies affect Linux just as much as anything else.
Old 15th June, 2004, 05:48 PM

Yeah, Americas Army has a Linux install (.bin file), got it loaded really easy but had errors when I ran it, something with sound and another with video. I'll post the exact message over the next couple days (kinda busy). Maybe I installed the game in the wrong place and it can't find the files, dunno.

Spent a few hours yesterday trying to get my digital camera and Palm pilot to work, no luck though. Wondering if my USB port is even recognized. Gonna try to install a USB printer to see if I can get anything USB related to work and go from there.

I spose you'd consider Suse bloated (I have no reference point) but really seems easy for beginners (me) and I definitely think performance is better than Windows.

Adean, Where would I get anti-virus programs for Linux? Or a firewall system you'd think is more secure. I'm definitely open to suggestions/recommendations.

Later guys, Bill

AOA Team fah

Old 15th June, 2004, 08:05 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Debian 10??? I know Mandrake released a version 10, but Debian I thought were still in the 3.xx range

If you mean Mandrake 10, then yes, the bloat's been there since version 9.1 and getting progressively worse. In large part this is due to the latest versions of KDE and Gnome, which are inflating like an unbacked currency, but Mandrake has always felt a little slow compared to the rest...

ya,ya I meant Mandrake 10