AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September, 2004, 10:37 PM

Custom kernel

This one's calling out for Kaitain's help again

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/...threadid=58650

I followed this guide online to compiling my custom kernel for the first time. Using "make menuconfig", I trimmed all the fatty device drivers and such that I didn't want/need (like the pcmcia port I'm never going to use). I ran "make" then "make modules-install". All seemed to be going fine. I noticed at the end of the tutorial that he said he was omitting the initrd information from his grub.conf because he wasn't using an initial ram drive. I remember choosing something about a ram drive in menuconfig, but I spent so long running that program that I can't remember what. Given that the kernel version I compiled was the same as the one installed by yum, I thought I'd just tell grub.conf to look at the old initrd image.

Booting off this gave a kernel panic about no initrd. When I jsut edited out that line so that the new custom kernel boot option didn't look for an initrd (as with his) it booted fine (apart from FC2 saying it couldn't install my USB or firewire modules (because I compiled them straight into the kernel I guess?)) and got into X. Everything seems to be working, although gmplayer crashes when I tell it to open my usb DVD drive (USB camera is working and modules) though I think that may be a sound issue. Sound is working in xmms but gmplayer doens't display alsa as one of it audio output options. USB DVD drive works fine for mounting and browsing.

Questions:
Do I need to worry about this initrd thing?

edit: got gmplayer working. needed to "alsactl restore" to reset also, then the OSS output in mplayer worked and the whole DVd playing thing worked.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 23rd September, 2004 at 10:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2004, 09:58 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

No, you don't need to worry about initrd. If you needed initrd, you wouldn't be able to boot the system.