AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2004, 09:10 PM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

ip from computer name

today a computer I dont recognize showed up in my "printers and faxes" and I would like the ip address of it so I can identify it. Is there any way I can do this?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2004, 09:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Go to a command prompt and type:

Code:
ping computername
The resulting display will give you all kinds of useful info, including the IP Address of the machine in question.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2004, 01:57 AM
Phat Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Go to a command prompt and type:

Code:
ping computername
The resulting display will give you all kinds of useful info, including the IP Address of the machine in question.
not working says it cant find the host for this new one, or the computer names of other known computers on the network that reply to ping by ip (ie 192.168.0.100 works, but not 'PatsComputer')

any ideas? its possible that my computer is possessed, not likely, but dont rule it out.

EDIT:: only computers behind software firewalls arent responding, so Im assuming this new one is too (probably a computer on the network with its name changed somehow, not a wireless network or id say a neighbor is getting free access)

any way around this?

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2004, 02:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Even if the computer is behind a firewall, you should still be able to resolve the name to an ip address. The only thing that would happen is that you would get a 'request timed out' response to your ping. The fact that you aren't getting the name to resolve to an ip address indicates that you have a name resolution problem on your network (probably don't have a DNS server).

I suppose you could try browsing to the computer in question with explorer. This would cause a connection that would be cached by NetBIOS. Going to a command line and typing

Code:
nbtstat -c
would then show the contents of the NetBIOS name cache, which would contain the machine name and the ip address.

Wait! Did you substitute the name of the computer in question for 'computername' in the ping command? Assuming the name of the computer is 'gizmo2k', you would type

Code:
C:\>ping gizmo2k

Pinging gizmo2k [192.168.14.28] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.14.28: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.14.28:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum =  0ms, Average =  0ms
Sorry if you already know this; I'm not sure what you know and what you don't, so please don't beat me if you aren't a simpleton and it sounds like I'm treating you like one.
Old 20th October, 2004, 07:25 AM
Phat Spammer

yeah, thats how I did used the ping command (I know how a ping command works ;-) heh)

nbtstat is not a recognized command, guess it would help (maybe) if I mentioned i have XP pro.

well I can ping 1 computer on the network by its name, but not another (both known boxes) and I get an error saying the host cannot be found

btw I appreciate the help a ton!

AOA Team fah
Old 20th October, 2004, 12:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Every version of Windows since NT 4 has had nbtstat, so your XP machine should have it. If not, it may have been deleted from your machine for some reason.
Old 31st October, 2004, 07:04 PM

Try using
pathping computername
That should give you not only ip addresses but his isp too and much more useful information.