AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st December, 2004, 05:55 AM
Steve Jobs

802.11X and linux

Hi, im doing some work at the moment learning about 802.11X security or lack there of on my windows 98SE laptop however ive seen the range of software available for windows in this area is extremely limited and expensive.

for linux there is a huge variety of apps that i would like to use and i am willing to put redhat 9.0 on my laptop dual-booting with 98SE, however i dont quite know how im going to get wireless working on nix.

i have an 802.11B netgear MA521 card with high gain external antenna
A netgear 802.11A card (1 standard, 1 with EX. antenna)
An 802.11B/G linksys admin edition card with mac scanning

all of these cards work on 98SE, but NONE of them have linux drivers.

does anyone know how i would be able to get them to work?

perhaps kaitain knows :\ ?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2004, 12:15 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I have spent rather longer than I would like playing with wireless cards and Linux, mostly because my desktop is now 64 bit meaning that there are currently fewer drivers available. Linux wireless drivers are not specific to a particular card - i.e. you don't get a different driver for e.g. a Netgear WG311v1 and a Samsung SWL-2000P like you do in Windows. You need to investigate what the actual chipset that does the donkey work is. In 98SE you can do this by looking at the card details in Start -> Accessories -> System -> System Information (as opposed to Control Panel -> System).

This link - http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz - has a very exhaustive list of cards, however is a little out of date with some Netgear cards, for which v2 specs have been released. The v2 usually has a totally different firmware - case in point, Netgear WG311v1 uses Prism (working driver), the WG311v2 uses a Texas Instruments ACX1xx chipset (wep still broken). It is, however, a great starting point.

Since you didn't include the model and revision numbers of the card, I'm gonna take a guess:
Quote:
i have an 802.11B netgear MA521 card with high gain external antenna
A netgear 802.11A card (1 standard, 1 with EX. antenna)
An 802.11B/G linksys admin edition card with mac scanning
The Netgear MA521 card uses a Realtek 8181 based chipset. A native driver exists in binary only form for kernel 2.4.20, and comes with health warnings. Netgear have recently rejigged their site and don't appear to be hosting it themselves, though hopefully a few third parties are. Google is your friend here.

The Netgear 802.11a cards you mention should be either an HA501 (cardbus) or an HA311 (pci). In both cases they use the Atheros chipset, and should be able to use the madwifi drivers - see http://www.madwifi.org/ for more.

Without knowing the model number for the Linksys card, there's no way of knowing what chipset it has. Linksys seem to be rather keen on the Broadcom chipset - there is an open source driver for it, but I've no idea where anymore.

If all else fails there is always ndiswrapper - more at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ - which offers to allow 32 bit x86 Linux to load and use Windows drivers. ndiswrapper should be a last resort, since native apps/drivers will always function more reliably than emulated ones.

Have fun trying these all out