AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2005, 02:34 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Windows update

Ive just done a fresh install of windows xp, and upon going to the update site i noticed afew things had changed. now they want you to validate ur copy of xp to make sure you havent ripped it off.
which i can see why they have done. so there i was with my illegal copy of xp getting very angry at bill gates.

the one thing i dont understand is this, if you turn on automatic updates you can still get all of the updates without having to validate anything!!!

anyone know why microsoft have done this?
It kind of defeats the point of having to validate ur copy in the update site.

And before anyone bitches about a pirated copy, i have paid hard cash over the years for win95,98 and me. but not this time.
Old 31st July, 2005, 03:07 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If my understanding is correct, the automatic updates will only provide security patches, and may not provide other updates such as later versions of DirectX, drivers, newer versions of Windows Media Player etc.

It makes no odds if you have paid hard cash for Win95,98 and ME. If you don't have a license to run the software you have, you shouldn't be running it.
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:15 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

come and nick me then!
you are right tho, it was only for the security patches.
i'll wait till i upgrade my system to 64 b4 i buy an os
Old 31st July, 2005, 05:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Nah - I'm not the law, nor am I anyone's conscience. Everyone is responsible for their own actions!
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:18 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Apparently in order to "discourage" piracy of their operating systems and applications they have rolled out a validation program. In most countries it is not yet compulsory - I can vouch that in the UK it is possible to skip the validation stage, however in China it is not. In the near future it will be compulsory across the board.

MS continue to offer security updates since it is clearly better not to have malware running rife on unpatched systems and slowing down the (legal) patched ones.

What MS plan to do about people mis-sold their operating systems I don't know. It has been a habit of some disreputable system assemblers to buy a single license, validate it, then clone the HD across many computers before selling them as licensed copies. noob? What's MS's policy here? Can people claim if they were genuinely mis-sold a Microsoft OS?
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yes. You get a free replacement if you snitch on the person who sold it to you and provide the disc. If you can't provide all the info, then they do offer you a reduced price for it, under £100 GBP for either of them (cheaper for home edition though). I was reading about a way to switch off the WGA check somewhere, can't remember how to do it though but it just shows that 'nothing' is uncrackable.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 06:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Apparently in order to "discourage" piracy of their operating systems and applications they have rolled out a validation program. In most countries it is not yet compulsory - I can vouch that in the UK it is possible to skip the validation stage, however in China it is not. In the near future it will be compulsory across the board.

MS continue to offer security updates since it is clearly better not to have malware running rife on unpatched systems and slowing down the (legal) patched ones.

What MS plan to do about people mis-sold their operating systems I don't know. It has been a habit of some disreputable system assemblers to buy a single license, validate it, then clone the HD across many computers before selling them as licensed copies. noob? What's MS's policy here? Can people claim if they were genuinely mis-sold a Microsoft OS?
Your in luck! Noob just posted on this!

Noob:

"
Ok I copied this off one of my posts in another forum. I think I will also add it to my Windows troubleshooting thread

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

http://www.windows.microsoft.com/genuine

This is implemented for those of us who actually buy their software. It allows less people to run pirated copies, with full benefits. If more people were actually honest, and didn't pirate software, this wouldn't happen, and would probably make software cheaper.

This is another step in an ongoing project MS has to stamp out priacy, similar to the different codecs placed within DVD's, CD's, and almost all other software.

MS also shares this with other developers to help them protect their own software.

This new check, installs an ActiveX control on your computer, and checks you Product ID against a database of known pirated ID's. If yours comes back pirated you have 2 options.

From 27/07/2005 NZST I think 26/07/2005 USST

First 45 days:
Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers that have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, their counterfeit CD, and complete a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.

First 90 Days:
Electronic Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP online for a price of $99 for Windows XP Home edition or $149 for Windows XP Professional. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool which will enable customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically. To qualify, customers will be required to submit an on-line counterfeit report.

Prices are in US dollars.

While this is a pain for thosse of us who have genuine software, I personally would prefer to go through with it rather than have alot of people out there who haven't paid for it.

Just remember if people were honest, this wouldn't be a problem."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

daniel~, if people were honest both the world wars would probabally not have happend, but then again, since when was bill gates honest?

anyhow, i support pirated software and such like, information should be free, and software is just information after all
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The comment was Noob, rather than my own.

You need to take another look at this calgar. I'm as close to an ally as you could hope to find...in a honest man. Weather you rationalize or just don't look at what your doing, your becoming a thief.

No it isn't just information and information has NEVER been free. As a culture we have long recognized that if a man or a woman spends time and money to develop something, then the should be fairly compensated.

I have friends that are developers, your stealing from my friends.

If your honest about it you steal because you can. That's why presumably you don't steal cars or wallets.

I view MS as a largely evil entity, but I WILL NOT let them turn me into a thief because I can't handle my resentment toward their policies!

Calgar, can't you see that in doing this you turn yourself into a person I can no longer respect? You steal because it's easy and you think you won't get caught.

You steal because you haven't established clear guidelines for your own behavior. Because you have not really asked yourself "What is right?"

Someone WORKED and RISKED to produce what you seen to think you have the right to steal. I pay more for software because you steal.

When you act like this and post about it here you disgrace yourself and you disgrace our group... we really try to stand behind our membership. We feel our membership is worthy of our efforts and of our esteem.

Please reconsider your position, your own moral wellbeing is at stake...and perhaps your freedom.

"What has been spoiled by man's behavior, can be put to rights by man's behavior."

Many of our young people haven't taken the time to really think this through... But... how can we respect those who harm those who provide our software, our games, this bulletin board and make possible every single thing we do together online?

You are hurting those who support you most! More over, you've put a price on your own integrity, which should always remain, priceless...so that you may remain whole and of one mind.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 31st July, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:26 PM

Wow, Thats very deep daniel and i do see your point, stealing is stealing wheather it be virtually or in the real world.

Um not one to talk tho, cos by my own admissions ive done wot you seem to hate.
But to me money does play abig part of that discision.

If products were easily affordable and not marked up for an extreme profit maybe more people would purchase the original, where as at the moment they know most of the money they spend goes to the fat cats.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Theft is theft, regardless of the reason. The only time theft is morally defensible is when you are doing so to feed and protect your family, and even then you walk a fine line.

I agree that Microsoft prices their O/S too high, but there ARE alternatives, and it isn't like you will starve or be without shelter should you not have a copy of WindowsXP.

I am one of those that software theft hurts. I make my living writing software. Currently, I do it for a large company, but one day I hope to be able to strike out on my own and do it for myself.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
Wow, Thats very deep daniel and i do see your point, stealing is stealing wheather it be virtually or in the real world.

Um not one to talk tho, cos by my own admissions ive done wot you seem to hate.
But to me money does play abig part of that discision.

If products were easily affordable and not marked up for an extreme profit maybe more people would purchase the original, where as at the moment they know most of the money they spend goes to the fat cats.
Dude! Money always plays a part, but do you want to be played by money?

What business is it of yours or mine, what, those who own a thing gain by it? Really what your saying is if temptation wasn't there I wouldn't succumb... Not what either of us would call a very high standard for honesty...is it?

I couldn't care less if MS should parish as a company, MS is NOT my concern here, you are.

Do you really want to let an injustice turn you away from justice? Who will you become? Who will your friends be?

It's just so easy to write this off as "No big deal."

How big a deal is it? How important is your integrity?

How important to you is the respect of good men?

Dude this IS just so important...it shapes your life...

BTW I don't hate this behavior. I disdain it as being beneath me and as being beneath you. I aspire to higher things than petty theft, things being a thief would prevent... one day I hope to know Truth, not to many thieves in line ahead of me, so I stay upon the safe path, the sure path and no man can fault me as I go about my day ... I wish the same for you.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 31st July, 2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 31st July, 2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Dude! Money always plays a part, but do you want to be played by money?

What business is it of yours or mine, what, those who own a thing gain by it? Really what your saying is if temptation wasn't there I wouldn't succumb... Not what either of us would call a very high standard for honesty...is it?

I couldn't care less if MS should parish as a company, MS is NOT my concern here, you are.

Do you really want to let an injustice turn you away from justice? Who will you become? Who will your friends be?

It's just so easy to write this off as "No big deal."

How big a deal is it? How important is your integrity?

How important to you is the respect of good men?

Dude this IS just so important...it shapes your life...
like i said, i do see ur point.

and temptation has always been my downfall.

the respect of good men(friends) is very important to me, but i also think respect needs to be earned.

but i have never gotten respect for being a good man, its so much easier to get it for being a bad one.
but i guess thats just the world we live in
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
but i have never gotten respect for being a good man
i take that comment back, maybe the sort of respect you get from being a good man isnt visable, people just know.
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You need to spend some time alone with this and decide who you want to be and how and by whom you wish to be well regarded. You've been adrift, time to set a firm course.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 31st July, 2005, 09:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

i have spent a great deal of time thinking about this, and software is just information or "data", and did i say information "is" or "has" been free? no i did not, i said information SHOULD be free.

other people have made things better than windows, and they are free.

those points aside, if you want to debate the morals of theft, microsoft STOLE half its damn original operating system from IBM and half its ideas from apple, so in essance if i did think was i was doing was stealing, i would only be stealing what was allready stolen!
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:24 PM

dont get me wrong daniel, i know you are an aged and learned man, unlike some of the kids that like to voice opinions on here.
but surely through ur life you have had people ***** on you from a great hight.

my experience of life is this: its a nasty world and you need to do wot you can to get ahead, no1 else will stop to pick you up if you fall behind, and along that road you find friends and people that respect you for the person you are and discissions you make.

All i would ask at the end of the day is that i am respected by those who know me, wheather that be by action, spoken word or text. these people i like to call friends.

for at the end of the day who needs or wants the respect of a nobody or an enemy

oh and when i say aged i mean that as a compliment m8.
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgar
i have spent a great deal of time thinking about this, and software is just information or "data", and did i say information "is" or "has" been free? no i did not, i said information SHOULD be free.

other people have made things better than windows, and they are free.

those points aside, if you want to debate the morals of theft, microsoft STOLE half its damn original operating system from IBM and half its ideas from apple, so in essance if i did think was i was doing was stealing, i would only be stealing what was allready stolen!
So MS is a thief. Is MS the example you really want to follow? That's it? You desire nothing better for yourself or your world?

Every man must choose between the high and the low, between what is easy and what is hard.

What you've offered in response is both cheap and easy and is the way of the thieves everywhere. "They do it so why can't I"

It's the argument of a child. Thieves never really grow up.

Here's the truth, my interest in you at this point extends only as far as I think you might be turned from you present course of action. I have Zero interest in thieves other than they should be caught and given an opportunity to become men...instead of thieves.

All good men stand against thieves. I'm just waiting to see if you will stand up with me against them, against yourself. If your going to help hold the line or yield to the cheap and easy.

You can't have both the respect of honorable men and a free ride at our expense. It's either/or.

You will meet many people in this life and they will tell you many things. What I've just told you is the absolute and un-get-overable truth.

What you do with it is everybody's business...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 31st July, 2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:49 PM

at the moment i am a thief, because i have pirated software running on my pc so i cant stand against it and with you.
that would be very hypocritical of me

dont get me wrong, i would like to stand with you, but at the moment i cannot!
Old 31st July, 2005, 09:54 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

err...just my opinion..... I was lucky, a family member bought a computer that came with a copy of windows xp home, he uses 2000pro and for some reason despises windows xp so he gave the cd to me, I am the only one using this copy and I have validated AND registered it. This as far as I am concerned equates to someone buying a copy of windows for me. It IS paid for and the licence is not being abused as far as I can see(if it is tell me).
If people want to use ripped off copies of operating systems who am I to question them?, If they steal a car whats that got to do with me?, If they steal from my me then......................ah.
Theft is theft and is wrong(unless life is in danger through not stealing) and those who do will either get caught or have to deal with their own conscience and watch us pay more for what they have for free, these are sometimes the same people who dodge work and claim money from the state=our taxes for no good reason other than the fact they cant be bothered to contribute to society.
I you ARE ill and CAN'T work then I feel sympathy for you and dont mind the rest of us helping to support you, if you are just being idle and parasitic then think about what will be remembered of you when you pass away and think what your children will become.
If you have a copy of windows that has been paid for( by whoever I dont think it matters who by as long as that single user licence is purchased and used by one person only) then good, if not you make us pay more for your tightfistedness, if you dont want to spend money then get a free OS there are several around, you dont have to have windows if you dont want it, dont whine about the price when you have a choice.
Your choice.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah