AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th December, 2005, 02:19 AM

Bootable SATA RAID 0 on AV8

Anybody running an operating system on an AV8 mobo in SATA RAID 0? What is your experience with it?
Old 25th December, 2005, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to marsh.miguel

I am, so far its been great. The board is very solid, but installing the Raid was a bit tricky. I had to put the Raid driver files on a floppy then when windows asks if you need to install 3rd party RAID drivers, you can insert the floppy disk. It took me a while to figure it out, but other than that it's fairly simple.

-Mike
Old 28th December, 2005, 04:32 PM
Steve Jobs

I'm running a pair of Maxtor Diamondmax 10 300GB disks in SATA Raid 0 on my AV8. All good fun. I had two of these disks for a while, but finally got a 3rd one for Xmas, so was able to do the Raid 0 setup with a spare 300GB for backups and important files.

The performance is great, and though I had some trouble setting it up since it was my first Raid array, if I had read the manual rather than jumping in head first, it would have been very easy.

So, I would say, read the manual well first.

The setup I have now is far, far faster than my previous setup (a 60GB Maxtor and a 30GB Maxtor, no raid, PATA)

I wouldnt be surprised if its 4 or more times faster in fact, due to the 16MB cache on each of the hard disks compared to the 2MB on the old disks, and the performance leap from the previous Maxtor generations and the new 10 series.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th December, 2005, 04:45 PM

What areas of use can you see hard drive performance? Level loading? FPS in games?

Corsair CX 750W | TP-Link Archer | MSI Z-390A Pro | ASUS GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix | Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 | Corsair Carbide 275R | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO + 120GB Kingston SV300 | Sony BT Headphones/Anker BT Speaker| ASUS TUF Gaming VG24V | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed | Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2005, 09:47 AM
Steve Jobs

Booting windows, loading big games such as Quake 4, HL2, Doom 3, copying large files, image editing, general responsiveness. Games are getting bigger and bigger. Its a sad fact of life, and the crap that fills my 256MB video card and 2GB of RAM has to come from somewhere, that somewhere being the hard drive.

I often move junk around as well.

All in all I couldn't be happier. The new Maxtor 10 series is the biggest leap forward in hard disks for a good many years (I do NOT consider Raptors and other server turned desktop drives to be a leap forward AT ALL, and anyone who owned one would agree).

The big 16MB cache on each of these drives, combined with NCQ, and the complete and beautiful silence they produce is amazing. It feels like I'm using a RAMdrive, and it sounds like it too
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles