AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2006, 10:39 AM

IE7 Beta Review

I downloaded the Beta Release of Internet Explorer 7 today. The Microsoft Website claims the Browser is easier and much more secure than it's predecessor.

The browser comes with a new "streamlined" look, which I personally dislike. I'm used to having my large Stop and Refresh Buttons but their replaced with smaller variants in unfamiliar locations - for example the stop button is small and next to the go button.

There is also no File/Edit taskbar which most people have grown used to. I also couldn't find how to switch it on. This may be a new interface but it's also unfamiliar. With Firefox retaining the basic look of the old Internet Explorer, it's questionable whether this is a good move.

Fans of Skin programs like Windowblinds will be dissapointed, IE7 doesn't like being skinned and there are ugly black bits everywhere. So if you want to use IE7, until WB is updated you'll have to stick with your normal XP style.

The Streamlined interface does have one advantage - an increased window size. In fact, the window is so big it's almost like the old Explorers Full Screen view.

The new tabs work in the same way as Firefox, but they are very large. Whereas the Firefox ones sit at top and are slim and un-noticeable, the IE7 ones are bulky and misplaced. I'm not sure this is how it should be.

IE7 does have a useful new feature - Anti-Phishing. This feature should help protect you against Scams, detecting fake pages etc. Hopefully this does work in practise - if it does it'll certainly be a welcome feature.

OVerall, I'm not impressed. Considering Microsoft have had months on this - the end result has a poor GUI, with clumsily placed buttons and many parts which seem to have been added as after thoughts.
Replacing the File/Edit menus with a awkwardly placed "Tools" button is confusing - and for people who aren't as computer literate as ourselves - the new IE7 is certainly going to appear confusing.
The new security features are welcomed - but generally for me they don't justify switching back from Firefox - which is far more simple and sticks to what works.

55%

Pictures.
As you can see. firstly IE7 is not skin friendly. Ugly large black blcoks are everywhere....
Secondly, you can see the Tools Menu which switched the usual taskbar system we're used to.
You can also see the new tabs, which are quite large.
Attached Thumbnails
IE7 Beta Review-ie7.gif   IE7 Beta Review-ie72.gif  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 1st September, 2006 at 10:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2006, 12:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Well this certainly does not make me want to rush out and DL it now...

Leave it to M$ to take a great idea and totally screw it up..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2006, 08:55 PM

Hello?

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 1st September, 2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks Gizmo!

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 1st September, 2006, 09:38 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Hello?
Hi

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 1st September, 2006, 10:40 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Hi
Yo!
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 1st September, 2006, 11:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Front Page, AP! www.aoaforums.com
Old 2nd September, 2006, 09:39 AM

Thanks Dude! :-D

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]