AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th September, 2006, 06:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical Rethinking From Microsoft"

Written by Daniel
Tuesday, 05 September 2006
In Depth: The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical Rethinking From Microsoft

Microsoft is at a crossroads, and the operating system that follows Vista will likely mark a serious break from the past. That is, if Microsoft can figure out how to do things differently.

By Aaron Ricadela
InformationWeek

Sep 4, 2006 12:02 AM

Two months before Microsoft is supposed to finish Windows Vista, the first new version of its desktop operating system in half a decade, the company is under intense pressure to change not only the way it develops Windows in the future, but everything about it. The last big Windows shake-up was 10 years ago, when Microsoft integrated its Web browser and Internet Protocol stack to fend off Netscape. Now Microsoft is at a crossroads again, and whatever comes after Vista could be a radical break from the past.......

Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2006, 06:12 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
That is, if Microsoft can figure out how to do things differently.
We'll see.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2006, 06:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They cripple themselves by trying to control everything, rather than supporting innovation... IF MS is still No# 1 in ten years....they will have changed very much indeed....imho

And I'll be a monkeys Uncle! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th September, 2006, 10:14 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Why? People will buy Vista. I don't see people swapping to Linux in any major way, and Apple haven't made OSX officially available on the PC platform.
Old 6th September, 2006, 01:52 PM

This is what has always pissed me off about M$. They want to monopolize everything in their path, with less regard to how good their bloated products actually work. OTOH, Apple hasn't been any better with their closed mindset.

If/when OSX goes to PC, I'll be one of the first on it. Then I'd forgo Linux since I'm already pretty familiar with MacOS. At that point, I'd never use another M$ app as long as I live, (if that's possible)!!
Old 6th September, 2006, 04:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Why? People will buy Vista. I don't see people swapping to Linux in any major way, and Apple haven't made OSX officially available on the PC platform.
Ten years is a long time...a lot chickens can come home to roost.... I'm betting that there is plenty of Anti-MS sentiment world wide...once a viaible alternative appears...But like all my opinions, half hopful thinking...":O}

After all...Even "I" am typing today from Linux....you and Kaitain have to know, that means I'm motivated...I keep trying...if the was a GOOD alternative, I'd have left MS long long ago....I'm looking for any useable alternative...that "I" can use....":O} Maybe others will as well...?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th September, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 6th September, 2006, 06:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

The codename for the one after vista is blackcomb. Notice how all these codename (Longhorn, Blackcomb) are part of the same mountain range.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 6th September, 2006, 07:49 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

I'm telling ya. Google is going to come out with an inexpensive, well-supported OS to combat either Vista or Blackcomb. Then M$ will have to improve if they want to survive, and if they improve, they may not be evil anymore. Right?
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 7th September, 2006, 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Redroar]I'm telling ya. Google is going to come out with an inexpensive, well-supported OS to combat either Vista or Blackcomb.[quote]

Now that would be something to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroar
Then M$ will have to improve if they want to survive, and if they improve, they may not be evil anymore. Right?
Right! When King Kong ain't a monkey, and James Brown ain't funky!
Old 7th September, 2006, 10:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
After all...Even "I" am typing today from Linux....you and Kaitain have to know, that means I'm motivated.
I gave up on trying to use Linux as a proper desktop OS ages ago. Far too much work to make things work the way that I wanted them to. Every now and then I spend a little time trying to make things work, but generally I give up again! As a server OS it's great though.
Old 7th September, 2006, 02:06 PM

OSX Leopard is where it will be at:

~ 64-bit addressing of up to 16 exabytes of virtual memory and 4 terabytes physical
~ Full 64-bit arithmetic
~ 64-bit development tools
~ LP64 data model
~ Common source base support

*drool* *slurp*
Old 7th September, 2006, 06:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I gave up on trying to use Linux as a proper desktop OS ages ago. Far too much work to make things work the way that I wanted them to. Every now and then I spend a little time trying to make things work, but generally I give up again! As a server OS it's great though.
As you know Linux has become something of an annual pilgrimage for me...":O}

But this time it is a bit different, this time I actually have a bit of affection for Ubuntu...not saying it cares about me...but that might come in time! LOL

When I look down the road MS seems to be traveling...I need an out, another way to go...2000 pro can't last for ever and I can't abide phone home and all that will soon go with it... Nature arbores a vacuum, sooner or later real competition will have to show up, let's hope next time a real human being has the reins of power... Sorry, had a bad morning with Ubuntu! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th September, 2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
.. Sorry, had a bad morning with Ubuntu! LOL
Better you than me!

Meh, I'm still mulling it over. Would installing an ATI GPU have been the same nightmare as you've had w the NV?
Old 9th September, 2006, 05:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

OH! NO! I'm sure it be a completely different experience!..... LOL

You do have to realize that I have ZERO natural affinity for these things.... that and if there's a pot hole that can swallow and entire installation in seconds... I'll find it in the first hour I'm up...it's a gift...I never had to work for this, it was given to me! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th September, 2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 9th September, 2006, 05:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec61
~ 64-bit addressing of up to 16 exabytes of virtual memory and 4 terabytes physical
~ Full 64-bit arithmetic
~ 64-bit development tools
~ LP64 data model
~ Common source base support
Not so sure about the "Full 64-bit arithmetic" thing, but all of the other features are currently in OS X. For the past year or two, the high-end macs have supported up to 16 GB of physical memory through 8 DIMM slots.

Come and join the dark side.
Old 10th September, 2006, 01:06 AM

Well, I've missed being on MacOS since the ex ended up with my G4/933. That's the only reason I got a Winbox at the time anyway - it was cheap to build.

Daniel -

I hear ye. I think I may be the more unlucky/lame when it comes to futzing with OS' - I can eff up even the simplest DL > install!
Old 10th September, 2006, 11:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Yeah, why does everyone say Linux makes great gaming servers. I could only manage to get Wolf:ET running, without sound. For NVidia drivers, you need to go to the online installer repositary thing. There are nvidia drivers there, decent as well they are. I got rid of ubuntu from my 20 Gig drive because i needed the space for FEARCombat, PoE2 download, and space to reinstall BF2.

But the problem with linux is it just isn't plug and play enough. If it was, and it had even a decent implementation of handling exe's, i'd use it more.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 10th September, 2006, 09:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
You are not encouraging me! LOL

I look at it this way. I have a "personal" moral obligation to rid myself of MS ASAP. Now as long as this is not possible (for me) I'm cool with 2000 Pro. (No phone home or the "good" things to come from MS.)

So I try each year to make Linux work at lest to a degree that allows me to learn weather or not it's ready to receive me and my overburdened conscience! ":O}

Unbuntu is close! Still haven't gotten a few major things in place as yet.

1. Networking ( is up but I lack permission, this whole permission thing is out of hand on my box!!)

2. Understanding permissions and how to set them up system wide rather than file by file!!

3. A Windows emulator that allows me to play games.

4. My Nforce card drivers

I can now do all My AOA work in Ubuntu...that's a first! Also my DVD drag and drop works out of the box! I "think" I can work with this until better comes along... I may be in 2000 pro for several more years... I intend that Linux should do the work here, I'm just an inspector and interested observer! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th September, 2006, 10:03 PM

We must suffer for our "art".
Old 11th September, 2006, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Not to mention Bill's rapacious greed! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur