AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th April, 2007, 10:18 AM
Breakout Champion

32 bit or 64 bit?

When i do my new build i am going to make the Vista plunge, and i am wondering which version would you guys recommend....32 bit, or 64 bit? I have read great things about the 64 bit version, and i am seeing that driver support is already good, so i need to know which one should i go with. Will the 64 bit version still run all my 32 bit software? or will i have issues with that? Please help.....
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th April, 2007, 04:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I imagine that 32-bit progs will run fine on the 64-bit OS, unless it's an Itanic CPU. However, 64-bit seems to be a solution that fixes no problem. An idea before its time for SOHO computing, thank AMD for pushing this to make their procs look better. Or maybe I'm wrong about this, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10th April, 2007, 02:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

If your cooling system can take the extra heat that using the other 32bit worth of registers can handle, go for it.... otherwise stay far clear! I couldn't even hit 2.5ghz in xp 64, but I have a mediocre cooling sys at the most. It was because of heat, not stability...

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2007, 09:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

This should surprise no one but me, but I hadn't heard before of 64 increasing temps.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 11th April, 2007, 10:57 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

unless you have a specific need for running the 64bit edition (using more than 2Gigs of ram, 64 bit app etc) then the general consencous is stick with the 32bit version. Drivers are more readily avaliable (in some cases xp ones can be used), software is more compatible etc.

64Bit only comes into its own when more than 2 Gigs of ram is needid really, it is also more secure but the downside of this security is it can hinder what you are doing.

If you have ever seen the box saying 'this driver (/app .. etc) hasnt not been certified to run on this version of windows, do you want to continue ?

and then hit continue and run your app / device, well in vista 64 you cant do this. It will only allow signed software to work when it requires it. So if your drivers arent WHQL then vista 64 wont let you install them.

There was also talk of how the 64bit kernal is restricted most antivirus and alike programs dont work, however they are not really needid for viruses only malware.