AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th November, 2007, 04:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Vista needs more memory than Windows for Supercomputers

Written by Daniel
Monday, 19 November 2007
Strange but true
The Inquirer
By Egan Orion: Monday, 19 November 2007, 10:24 AM

MICROSOFT VISTA requires more hardware resources than the Vole's Windows for Supercomputers.... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2007, 06:44 PM

this is crap i have vista ultimate and i run it with 512mb's of ram.
and i have no problems at all, it runs smooths as butter.
i can do more then one thing at a time.

i can use everything in vista ultimate, moving destop , windows media center, ect.

and i have a pny 6600 256mb ddr video card.

so i don't know what microsoft is smokin up there but it must be good.

you don't have to have a speed machine to run vista ultimate nor do you have to have alot of memory,
the only thing you need alot of is hard drive space.
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
Memory: 8 Gb's of Kingston Hyperx 1333 DDR3
Case: Xion Solaris Black/Green ATX Mid-Tower
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th November, 2007, 06:49 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

aero ?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 19th November, 2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjason7812 View Post

i can use everything in vista ultimate, moving destop , windows media center, ect.

you don't have to have a speed machine to run vista ultimate nor do you have to have alot of memory,
Either you anal when it comes to keeping your PC free of crap, or by running several programs at once you mean a web browser, iTunes and MSN, or you are not running aero, or you are about as basic a user as it gets, or your lying!
As for the hard drive space comment, I cannot understand why you would say that but then say you only need 512mb of ram. I struggled with 1GB. But for HDD space, you don't need a lot at all. 80GB and your fine...

P.S Out of curiosity, whats your performance score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 19th November, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 19th November, 2007, 07:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

aghastpumpkin, I'd very much appreceate it if you could refrain from suggesting that one of our members might be lying. It might also be well if you could also refrain from creating such imaginative reasons for another's results as that they are anal. They might well accidently take you for a hostile jerk... and we both know this would be a mistake...especially upon your better days.

If your experence varies from that of another, this is something of interest to us all. Less so your beliefs as to why they vary when they touch upon persons rathers than hard or software.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th November, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 19th November, 2007, 07:05 PM
AOA Staff

With just 512MB of RAM, Windows Vista or XP will being doing a fair bit of swapping memory data to and from disk.

The desktop bells and whistles are mostly handled by the video card, which has its own memory.
Old 19th November, 2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
aghastpumpkin, I'd very much appreceate it if you could refrain from suggesting that one of our members might be lying. It might also be well if you could also refrain from creating such imaginative reasons for another's results as that they are anal. They might well accidently take you for a hostile jerk... and we both know this would be a mistake...especially upon your better days.

If your experence varies from that of another, this is something of interest to us all. Less so your beliefs as to why they vary when they touch upon persons rathers than hard or software.
It was meant very lightheartedly Dan, hence the smiley face. But I see what ya saying, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 19th November, 2007, 07:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I would never take AP for a hostile jerk....
Old 19th November, 2007, 09:31 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
I would never take AP for a hostile jerk....
you already KNOW he is

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 19th November, 2007, 09:43 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
With just 512MB of RAM, Windows Vista or XP will being doing a fair bit of swapping memory data to and from disk.
gotta disagree with you there for XP, it runs just fine with 512Mb, of course more is better though.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 19th November, 2007, 10:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My machine has XP with 512 MB. I routinely have at least 6 tabs open in FireFox, Thunderbird, Trillian, SpyBot, AVG, VNC, a couple of Explorer windows, and TextPad running with several different source files open.

It swaps a lot.

Granted, my usage is probably nowhere near typical. Which is why the blanket statement "My machine runs just fine on 512 MB" or "Vista or XP swap a lot with just 512 MB" is not terribly illuminating. It's all about HOW you use it. If XP runs just fine in a particular usage scenario but Vista swaps a lot under the exact same scenario, THAT is useful to know; likewise with Windows2k vs. WinXP.

In addition, despite the fact that my machine swaps a lot, it's still snappier than my office machine under the same workload, with twice the RAM, and an arguably faster CPU. Why? Because I have a dedicated drive for my swap partition (not just a dedicated partition, but a dedicated DRIVE). So the swap file is not fragged, and the drive doesn't have contention for other resources. That, coupled with running a fast SCSI RAID controller, makes the swapping tolerable.

Last edited by Gizmo; 19th November, 2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 19th November, 2007, 10:05 PM
AOA Staff

XP will use virtual memory, even if you have 2GB of RAM installed. How often Windows uses it, depends on what kind of work you want it to do.
Old 19th November, 2007, 10:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
you already KNOW he is
You said it not me.....LOL
Old 20th November, 2007, 06:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin View Post
It was meant very lightheartedly Dan, hence the smiley face. But I see what ya saying, sorry!
Just happy you saw that the smiles had become necessary if the lightness of your mood was to be connived.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st November, 2007, 12:24 AM

I guess people just refuse to understand or learn why OS's will attempt to use as much memory as possible. The OS can either access a slow hard drive for a program you use often, or it can access memory for an app it cached there. Linux does the same thing.

From a fresh boot, before opening any apps my Box will take less than 90megs in Linux, during use it will cache somewhere around 1.5 gigs
Old 21st November, 2007, 04:06 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjason7812 View Post

Let me get this straight, you paid... over four times as much... for your operating system... as you did for your whole computer?

An Athlon XP 3100+ / 6600 / 512MB ram is worth the best part of $200 in this country. In contrast... Vista Ultimate is about ~$900

Back many moons ago, I installed Windows 95 on my 386DX40 with 4MB ram, since the upgrade edition dropped in price and I thought it would be a good idea.

It wasnt. But I kept telling myself it ran great, and was terrific.

I had Vista Business edition on my laptop, inside a Virtualbox VM with 512MB initially. Even with no Aero (3D cant be virtualized) it would stutter horrifically whenever windows updater was running, and IE7 was open. I ran The Gimp on it once while I had other things running, and it took about two minutes to open. Thats on a Core2Duo 2.2Ghz.

I think your idea of "smooth" would be changed somewhat if you had a better computer at your disposal. Back when I had my 386, I thought it was fast too.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 21st November, 2007, 04:46 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
(3D cant be virtualized)
There's no reason why 3D can't be virtualized like anything else. VMware made an attempt to.
Old 21st November, 2007, 04:53 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
There's no reason why 3D can't be virtualized like anything else. VMware made an attempt to.
My comment was specific to Virtualbox. I've had a Xen DomU with working Nvidia 3D graphics, but Virtualbox is not capable of this.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 21st November, 2007, 05:55 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Ladies let me tell you something. If the Vista updates are done after installation even with AERO enabled, Vista will run nice ! Vista also has an autodefrag thing (on by default), AP knows nothing about it I am sure, and if you turn it off then the HDD will stop working like mad and opening several applications will be as in XP. If you also have a SpeedBoost ready device plugged in that will also make your Vista experience more enjoyable.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 21st November, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 21st November, 2007, 05:58 PM
Steve Jobs

So, if you turn off all the features that make it different from XP, like the auto defrag, the access control, security, aero, etc. And then pay for additional hardware. You can make it almost as good as XP.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah