AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th November, 2007, 06:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Vista won't be abandoned so here's how to fix it

Written by Daniel
Wednesday, 28 November 2007
November 28, 2007 9:09 AM PST
C/Net News
Posted by Don Reisinger

Since Microsoft has abandoned my plan of abandoning Vista, I feel compelled to help the company out in any way I can. And while I still believe abandoning Vista is the only true option of fixing Windows, I can appreciate the fact that Microsoft has dumped a huge sum of cash into the OS and it's loath to lose out... Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2007, 07:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Open Source Vista? Oh PUHLEASE!!!!! Like THAT will EVER happen!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2007, 07:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I very much doubt this would even come close to working for MS. Why? Because everybody hates them. Whose going to freely give of their time to people like Gates and Balmrer or to a community he stands near the center of?

I really don't see where any one can take on Open source desktop and win. (unless it's another open sourse Desktop) A free, or modestly priced OS, much free support, No separate agenda, no built in spyware, No more asking permission to change your hard ware and a community that actually likes you and wants you to be happy; Rather than merely profitable to Bill. And your no longer the very special target of all the people who have come to hate Bill and MS.

I really do think MS is finished in the Desktop OS business. Inside of 5 years, I really don't think they will be missed ... hey, what did they ever do for you? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th November, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 28th November, 2007, 08:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
I very much doubt this would even come close to working for MS. Why? Because everybody hates them. Whose going to freely give of their time to people like Gates and Balmrer or to a community he stands near the center of?
Actually, I suspect there are a lot of developers that would be willing to invest some time in Windows, simply because they don't know anything else, and writing Windows software keeps bread on their table.
Old 28th November, 2007, 08:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

They would WHORE for mere money!?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th November, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 28th November, 2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I really do think MS is finished in the Desktop OS business. Inside of 5 years, I really don't think they will be missed ... hey, what did they ever do for you? ":O}
Not gonna happen. I really doubt MS is finished. Thats a claim of the utmost severity. Are you really sure about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 28th November, 2007, 08:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
They would WHORE for mere money!?
That's what we do now. At least with an open source Windows, we would stand a chance of improving things while providing for our families.
Old 28th November, 2007, 09:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin View Post
Not gonna happen. I really doubt MS is finished. Thats a claim of the utmost severity. Are you really sure about this?
That's because your years are few and have not seen what went before.

You think what is manifest is stable, because we crave stability. But MS' time is already past, you would know this if you knew what went before. That you do not see the laws that govern the coming to be and passing away of ALL things, does not mean they will not consume you all you know.

So, all that remains to be determined is "the time". Any one can tell you ( and it seems they need to) MS hasn't created anything new or worth while in desktop OS in a decade. They are still repackaging 2000 pro.

Am I really sure about this? Well certainly nothing you have had to say has shaken me.":O}

"That's not gonna happen"

(Besides being inherintly wrong as it most assuredly one day will happen)

Not a really impressive argument. More of a blind unthinking assertion based on what you think know of the world. Which is "MS is big, Ms is solid, Ms is what I know."

5 years and they will not be able to make a profit selling an OS. You will pick your os like you pick your browser and you pay about the same unless you want or need support. and VR will be the most likely THANG.

Will my world crumble if I'm wrong, naw, Error is always prevalent when the finite addresses itself to the infinite possibilities. On the other hand if I'm seeing things you don't, that does not surprize me. I haven't noticed you looking very hard. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th November, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 28th November, 2007, 09:29 PM
Member/Contributer

I think if they went opensource, because of the massive amounts of programs associated with it, it may be successful.

What has MS ever done for me - well due to its 'stability' it gave me an opening into the IT market as 1st level support.

Sorry to all the fanbois, Vista is akin to Me, works for some, but really is one of the worst OS's ever to see the light of day.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 28th November, 2007, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
That's what we do now. At least with an open source Windows, we would stand a chance of improving things while providing for our families.
It's hard to make a man laugh when his pay check is involved! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 28th November, 2007, 09:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
I think if they went opensource, because of the massive amounts of programs associated with it, it may be successful.

What has MS ever done for me - well due to its 'stability' it gave me an opening into the IT market as 1st level support.

Sorry to all the fanbois, Vista is akin to Me, works for some, but really is one of the worst OS's ever to see the light of day.
I was joking a bit there. I loved 2000 pro! I've spend the whole of my commuting life up to six months ago in Windows. I also hate MS. Why must I explain!! LOL

And your right, as is Gizmo, the installed base is still a killer asset.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 28th November, 2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 29th November, 2007, 12:17 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
But MS' time is already past, you would know this if you knew what went before.
But when, ever has a company with as much market share as MS, (and MS is, still, right now, making profit as far as I am aware) gone under in 5 years? While I am no MS fanboy, I cannot see MS being out of the OS market within 5 years, 10 years maybe, at a push.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 29th November, 2007, 07:47 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Vista = beauty
Vista = elegance
Vista = gaming
Vista = 2000/XP before patching
Vista will be patched

Win 3.1 for those that hate Vista without even playing with it
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 29th November, 2007, 09:51 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu View Post
But when, ever has a company with as much market share as MS, (and MS is, still, right now, making profit as far as I am aware) gone under in 5 years? While I am no MS fanboy, I cannot see MS being out of the OS market within 5 years, 10 years maybe, at a push.
We can see it coming, because we have seen it many times before. IBM being one example, they pretty much invented the PC, and yet they no longer make them.

We know that MS is having to resort to cheap tricks to sell their product, e.g. refusing to release DX10 for XP, shallow and meaningless marketing campaigns, etc. They're getting desperate here! This tells us a lot.

Also, the world is changing, people's IT requirements are changing almost daily. Windows is an old fat dog, and is not fit for purpose any longer.

They're just squeezing every last $ out of Windows, while they can still get away with it.
Old 29th November, 2007, 11:10 AM

That still doesn't mean they'l be gone in five years.
Not what they were, maybe.

But when practically every person in the world who uses a computer is using Windows, all these people aren't going to suddenly stop using it or indeed buying it.

MS won't go under in 5 years.

Assuming I've made my millions by then, if you are proven right and I am wrong, I will buy you a car of your choosing absolutely free as long as it isn't a Bugatti Veyron.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 29th November, 2007, 04:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Err, you guys need to check the original statement again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
5 years and they will not be able to make a profit selling an OS.
He didn't say that Microsoft would go out of business. He said that they wouldn't be able to make a profit selling an OS. That's a substantially different (and much more likely) statement.
Old 29th November, 2007, 07:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu View Post
We are speaking of Desktop OS., Not MS as an ongoing concern, Desktop OS. ":O}

Your view is narrowed in my humble opinion by looking at MS. Look at MS competition instead.

Any of you guys remember when Britiania ruled the seas? Change is an inherent part of all that is. Ma bell had a complete and perfect monopoly, until the day it no longer did.

Do I have a stop watch setting the date of their demise? No. Then why am I so sure?

Bunch of reasons, a big one is that you guys are mostly pirates, despite my trying to perswade you against it! ":O}

You guys are smarter than MS when it comes to keep stuff locked up.

Another is that MS is trying to sell a OS when others are giving theirs away. How smart do I have to be to see some advantage to MS competition?

Mostly I'm going by the fact that Fedora has already nearly replaced MS for me. I know nothing about Linux. yet I'm closing in on the last one or two things I need to never boot 2000 pro again, let alone the newer Os's.

If you guys really thing you'll shell out in three years for an OS that is less than the one I have now, Let alone the one I'll have for free then, you don't know yourselves as well as you thing":O}

You've mostly never known a world without MS. This is a big disavantage in understanding what's to come... change. ":O}

But we need not argue this, time will tell us what she wishes us to know,":O}

BTW this is not profitcy, this is just opinion. Naturally I think mine is better than yours, but if your right, what a **** world that will be! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 29th November, 2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Err, you guys need to check the original statement again:

He didn't say that Microsoft would go out of business. He said that they wouldn't be able to make a profit selling an OS. That's a substantially different (and much more likely) statement.
So do you.

Quote:
I really do think MS is finished in the Desktop OS business. Inside of 5 years, I really don't think they will be missed
Being "finished" and not making profit are two different things too.
And forgive me if I am wrong, but the English I have been taught, leads me to interpret that when someone says that inside of 5 years an entity will not be missed, it is to suggest they have gone and dissapeared, in this case that MS would completely lose their position.
Which I think is not possible, at least not in 5 years.

Quote:
Any of you guys remember when Britiania ruled the seas? Change is an inherent part of all that is. Ma bell had a complete and perfect monopoly, until the day it no longer did.
Sure. OK. But did Britannias rule of the seas die off in the space of a few years? Absolutely not. It took hundreds of years. Arguably, Britain is still the most adavanced country in the world in terms of shipping and the seas. Our new Destroyer built in Scotland is the most advanced warship in the world. Our new Subs are the most proficient. Our shipbuilders are arguably the best in the world. So be those who sail them.

So while you argue that MS's desktop business is due to die off, I don't dispute that it could happen, but I do dispute your timeframe and even if MS lose their current position in the future, that is not to say they have no place at all in the future of desktops.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Old 29th November, 2007, 07:51 PM

The problem I have with your theory Daniel is not so much the Windows side of things but what will replace it.
Linux - I am sorry, is still far far off being easy enough for anyone to use. The fact you had so many problems yourself only goes to proove this. I haven't had a single problem with Vista on the contrary that is related to ease of use. There is no denying that Windows is an easier platform to use. Forget about the fact we're used to it, in the primary school where my Mum works children are able to use a Windows computer straight off from as young as 5 and are able to follow most of their tasks without needing assistance and without problem.
I cannot see the same happening for Linux.

5 years may be a long time to change, a long time for Linux to catch up. And I'm sure it will. But even if it does, that is the easy part. The difficult part is persuading people to use it. It may seem a simple option to you - hey its free! But when Windows comes pre-installed on 99% of retail computers anyway this isn't really an issue for the average consumer, who is unlikely to ever upgrade an OS by himself but simply just buy a new computer.
Not only that, but even if a company like Dell for example, offered Linux instead and knocked $50 off the price of a computer, do you really think that would sway people? I just can't see it happening.
They've already tried and as far as I know the consumer ignored it.

Quote:
Quote:

[/FONT]

Last edited by aghastpumpkin; 29th November, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 29th November, 2007, 07:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin View Post
Being "finished" and not making profit are two different things too.
And forgive me if I am wrong, but the English I have been taught, leads me to interpret that when someone says that inside of 5 years an entity will not be missed, it is to suggest they have gone and dissapeared, in this case that MS would completely lose their position.
In the DESKTOP OS market. Again, he qualified his statement. Not so with yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
That still doesn't mean they'l be gone in five years.
Not what they were, maybe.

But when practically every person in the world who uses a computer is using Windows, all these people aren't going to suddenly stop using it or indeed buying it.

MS won't go under in 5 years.
Blanket statement, "MS won't go under in 5 years." Daniel never said that MS would go under in 5 years. He said that in 5 years MS would be irrelevant (not missed) in the desktop OS market.

FWIW, I don't think MS will be irrelevant to the desktop OS market in 5 years; IF it happens, it's more likely to be 10 or so.