AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home


Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 6th December, 2007, 05:32 PM
Daniel ~'s Avatar
Chief BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Seattle Wa.
Posts: 45,606

Microsoft feeling heat from Linux in budget flash PC market

Written by Daniel
Thursday, 06 December 2007

Like Intel MS can't stand the thought of anyone being helped...unles they make a profit!

Microsoft feeling heat from Linux in budget flash PC market

By Ryan Paul | Published: December 05, 2007 - 11:10PM CT
ARS Technica

Front Page
__________________
"Though all men live in ignorance before mystery,
they need not live in darkness...
Justice is foundation and Mercy ETERNAL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 6th December, 2007, 10:43 PM
danrok's Avatar
AOA Staff
 
Join Date: March 2003
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 18,917

The Asus Eee PC, presently only comes with Linux installed.

These UMPCs have proved to be very popular right now, and selling out fast.

It's funny how MS talk about the end of XP, yet at the same time they're planning a deal with Asus, to have XP pre-installed on Eee PCs.
__________________
Desktop PC: AMD FX-8370E / Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 Motherboard / 16GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce GTX 970
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 7th December, 2007, 03:23 AM
cloasters's Avatar
Asst. BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 21,956

Just what the truly poor kids that will get one of those $188 laptops need! A recurring message to register your OS--or else! MS, how low will you stoop? The bar is already at the bottom of the Challenger Deep! Mebbe this isn't applicable to those particular laptops? One can hope.
__________________
When the world will be better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 7th December, 2007, 05:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: April 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,446

When I see MS wanting to get their greedy paws on this market it makes me want to wipe my drives of all MS products. Truth be told I can probably live without Windows at home anyway so, what the hell, may as well do it..
__________________
Biostar TForce X58 - Core i7 920 - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 - EVGA 560ti - PCP&C 750W - Dual boot, Arch Linux/WinXP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 7th December, 2007, 08:55 PM
Daniel ~'s Avatar
Chief BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Seattle Wa.
Posts: 45,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
The Asus Eee PC, presently only comes with Linux installed.

These UMPCs have proved to be very popular right now, and selling out fast.

It's funny how MS talk about the end of XP, yet at the same time they're planning a deal with Asus, to have XP pre-installed on Eee PCs.
It's not like they had a modern OS that would do the job! XP will have to do.

though why I can't imagine... MS is not exactly noted for the light step in it's OS'.
__________________
"Though all men live in ignorance before mystery,
they need not live in darkness...
Justice is foundation and Mercy ETERNAL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 7th December, 2007, 09:02 PM
Daniel ~'s Avatar
Chief BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Seattle Wa.
Posts: 45,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
When I see MS wanting to get their greedy paws on this market it makes me want to wipe my drives of all MS products. Truth be told I can probably live without Windows at home anyway so, what the hell, may as well do it..
It's down to my networked printer and FEAR. Once fear is dead dead dead, I haven't be able to think of why I'd need to boot MS OS.

So I shall call upon you all to help get access to my printer from Fedora, Printer is on a networked 2000 pro box. But I'm suffering from futurershock at the moment and can handel no further input.":O}

I may wait until I upgrade Patti to Linux before figuring things out.... But windows get very little play here anymore.
__________________
"Though all men live in ignorance before mystery,
they need not live in darkness...
Justice is foundation and Mercy ETERNAL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 9th December, 2007, 01:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: April 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
It's down to my networked printer and FEAR. Once fear is dead dead dead, I haven't be able to think of why I'd need to boot MS OS.

So I shall call upon you all to help get access to my printer from Fedora, Printer is on a networked 2000 pro box. But I'm suffering from futurershock at the moment and can handel no further input.":O}

I may wait until I upgrade Patti to Linux before figuring things out.... But windows get very little play here anymore.
When you need to get that printer working, let me know. It's not a bad deal to set up.

I moved my Mom to Linux the slow and easy way. I taught how her to use opensource apps that were ported to Windows (Firefox, T-bird, Gimp etc etc) so her move into Suse 10.3 was pretty seamless.

I was bored and sitting at work one day and decided to play a little joke so I logged on to her rig and started playing around with text screensaver messages like "this computer has been taken over" printed out letter telling her I knew where she lived, thanks for the credit card info and nice pic of the kids, is your daughter married? Took a few days to smooth that one over and get a home cooked meal..
__________________
Biostar TForce X58 - Core i7 920 - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 - EVGA 560ti - PCP&C 750W - Dual boot, Arch Linux/WinXP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 9th December, 2007, 02:10 AM
cloasters's Avatar
Asst. BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 21,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
When you need to get that printer working, let me know. It's not a bad deal to set up.

I moved my Mom to Linux the slow and easy way. I taught how her to use opensource apps that were ported to Windows (Firefox, T-bird, Gimp etc etc) so her move into Suse 10.3 was pretty seamless.

I was bored and sitting at work one day and decided to play a little joke so I logged on to her rig and started playing around with text screensaver messages like "this computer has been taken over" printed out letter telling her I knew where she lived, thanks for the credit card info and nice pic of the kids, is your daughter married? Took a few days to smooth that one over and get a home cooked meal..

No doubt!
__________________
When the world will be better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 9th December, 2007, 02:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: April 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,446

Next day I was going to apologize from work and ssh was off.. lol. She learns fast..
__________________
Biostar TForce X58 - Core i7 920 - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 - EVGA 560ti - PCP&C 750W - Dual boot, Arch Linux/WinXP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 9th December, 2007, 08:11 PM
Daniel ~'s Avatar
Chief BBS Administrator
 
Join Date: September 2001
Location: Seattle Wa.
Posts: 45,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
When you need to get that printer working, let me know. It's not a bad deal to set up.

I moved my Mom to Linux the slow and easy way. I taught how her to use opensource apps that were ported to Windows (Firefox, T-bird, Gimp etc etc) so her move into Suse 10.3 was pretty seamless.

I was bored and sitting at work one day and decided to play a little joke so I logged on to her rig and started playing around with text screensaver messages like "this computer has been taken over" printed out letter telling her I knew where she lived, thanks for the credit card info and nice pic of the kids, is your daughter married? Took a few days to smooth that one over and get a home cooked meal..
I can see your sense of humor gets you in to as much red ink as mine does! ":O}

For sure I will call upon your good service with a thank you in my heart! ":O}
__________________
"Though all men live in ignorance before mystery,
they need not live in darkness...
Justice is foundation and Mercy ETERNAL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft WGA Authenticates Linux dsio OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS 2 18th June, 2007 12:14 PM
Could a startup beat Microsoft and Google to market with a ‘cloud OS’? Samuknow OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS 12 2nd March, 2007 11:37 PM
Do you believe that Linux violates Microsoft patents? Gizmo OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS 1 25th February, 2007 08:37 PM
Microsoft makes Linux pact with Novell Gizmo OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS 4 4th November, 2006 03:30 AM
microsoft.com runs on linux? hehe Betty Random Nonsense! 5 2nd November, 2003 08:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Copyright ©2001 - 2010, AOA Forums
Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0