AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > OS, Software, Firmware, and BIOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2008, 06:48 PM
AOA Staff

Logmein/Firefox/Fedora 8 help

I just started using Fedora 8 and I need to remote through the internet to my work comptuer with Windows XP.
When I use Firefox and login to Logmein.com I CAN connect to my work computer but the refresh rate is so slow that I can't even work. Just clicking on the screen will reload the background and it takes 10 seconds.

After searching for several days on the internet I havn't found much.
I did find that Logmein uses Active X or Sun-Java for the connection.
I was connecting through a windows computer and it worked GREAT. So I know it not the bandwidth. Its definitely Fedora/Firefox/sun-java scenerio.
I'm going to try and update firefox because I read they have a fix for logmein problems, but I don't know if it addresses my exact problem.

Does anyone have a problem with this and Linux Distros?

I've read about other remote programs but they have to be windows compatible so I can log into my work computer. They have to be fairly secure also like logmein. When I was using logmein it shows 256-bit security and I had 3 passwords set up.
I don't know if VNC has that kind of security and I read about TightVNC but it only has 32-bit security.
I also read about SSH but didn't find anything useful.
theres also VRDesktop but it seemed to hard to configure.
What do you all think?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2008, 07:36 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

I think that FreeNX is cross-platform...I've never used it, though. What JDK/JRE do you have installed on the Fedora machine? Sun-JDK, IcedTea, Blackdown-JDK...?

Not sure about it, but I'm pretty sure Fedora 8 ships with IcedTea, which I've read is significantly slower than Sun-JDK. Check that out.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2008, 07:44 PM
AOA Staff

I'm pretty sure its IcedTea. I remember seeing that in the installed programs list. Thats a java tool right?
It may be that I can't install the sun-Java because I'm not logged in as administrator.
I just tried logmein with SuSE Linux at work and it asked me to manually install Java for firefox.
I'll look into FreeNX
Thanks
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 1st April, 2008, 07:54 PM

IcedTea is the FOSS version of Sun-JDK. However, Sun-JDK should go much faster.

I don't know the specifics of replacing IcedTea with Sun-JDK on Fedora, though. Never log in as administrator. Only run individual apps and shells with admin privileges. The only time I'm ever actually logged in as root is during initial install, then I immediately add a user and use sudo for added security.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 1st April, 2008, 07:58 PM
AOA Staff

I'll do some searching on installing Sun-JDK. I looked at the website real quick but it seems like a developers tool instead of a plug-in.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 1st April, 2008, 07:59 PM
AOA Staff

I just downloaded Opera and I'll see if its any different.
Otherwise I may try Internet Explorer in Wine
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 1st April, 2008, 08:06 PM

Ack, my bad. Sun-JRE should be what you want. I thought that they had merged JDK and JRE in 1.6, but I was wrong.
Old 2nd April, 2008, 04:38 AM
AOA Staff

Actually I have the Java 1.7 version.
I'll look into Sun-JRE instead.
I tried Opera and had the same problem. It was totally slow.
I'll try installing jre1.6 tonight.
I'm thinking part of the problem is my computer is a bit slow.
I'm using an Athlon 2100 cpu @ 266fsb with 768Megs RAM.
Everthing else works ok like openoffice, Enemy Territory, internet. Some internet games are a bit slow.
Logmein should work fine if the java can be configured. I don't even have an option to change the colors to grayscale.
The IE Explorer logmein has a bunch of screen options with resolution, color, multiple displays. Where are these options in Firefox?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10

Last edited by booman; 2nd April, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 3rd April, 2008, 02:45 AM

Hmmm. Java is slower on older machines, but unless that program is sloppily written (I'm not familiar with logmein...no idea whether it is or not) it *should* run OK on the rig you specify with a remote desktop client.

Openoffice is a Java app. So if it is running without any speed problems whatsoever, then it may just be logmein. However, in any case I would expect Sun-JRE to outperform IcedTea.
Old 3rd April, 2008, 10:09 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

OpenOffice isn't actually a Java app, so isn't a good test. However if you want database connectivity or accessibility options, then Java needs to be installed. The Java implementation that LogMeIn use is legacy,which probably means it's slow, doesn't have much in the way of options and is not well supported...

Can you use Microsoft's Remote Desktop instead? There are RDP clients for Linux.

TightVNC does provide DES encryption for the password, but doesn't encrypt anything else - you're expected to provide that encryption yourself.

Does the company not have a policy that provides any guidance?

Last edited by Áedán; 3rd April, 2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 3rd April, 2008, 04:31 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Can you use Microsoft's Remote Desktop instead? There are RDP clients for Linux.
I may try a Remote Desktop. I think there is one call vrdesktop and some others.

Quote:
TightVNC does provide DES encryption for the password, but doesn't encrypt anything else - you're expected to provide that encryption yourself.
I don't know how to provide my own encryption. I'll have to look that up also. First I would have to try TightVNC to see if it works ok.
I only need to use e-mail, and print/save from CAD

Quote:
Does the company not have a policy that provides any guidance?
do you mean the company I'm working for or Logmein?
I've looked up many searches on Logmein.com and they didn't have many solutions to slow refresh rates. Mostly just re-installing Java/ActiveX or going back to an earlier version.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 4th April, 2008, 11:10 AM

rdesktop is a Linux RDP client that can talk to Microsoft's Teminal Services/Remote Desktop. It should (I think) be available through Fedora's package management system.

As far as encryption goes, the typical solution is to use SSH. That's not so great when you're talking to a Windows system though, as SSH isn't so easy to get working on Windows.

When I asked about the guidance, I was wondering what policies the company you work for have with regards to remote access. Some companies have ready build solutions to do this kind of stuff.
Old 4th April, 2008, 03:59 PM
AOA Staff

Here is the new story. I buildt a new linux machine:
Pentium 3.0 Ghz Core Duo
BTX motherboard
2 Gig RAM PC 667
Onboard video
Fedora 8

And the Logmein is still as slow as the old computers.
so I know its not the computer and its not the bandwidth.

Quote:
rdesktop is a Linux RDP client that can talk to Microsoft's Teminal Services/Remote Desktop. It should (I think) be available through Fedora's package management system.
Maybe this is my solution. You don't have connect to servers only right?

Quote:
As far as encryption goes, the typical solution is to use SSH. That's not so great when you're talking to a Windows system though, as SSH isn't so easy to get working on Windows.
Then I'll pass on this one because I'm not good at troubleshooting Linux

Quote:
When I asked about the guidance, I was wondering what policies the company you work for have with regards to remote access. Some companies have ready build solutions to do this kind of stuff.
This is a nobody company without a firewall. I'm just remoting into a standard PC with Win XP pro. so maybe tightVNC will work. I'm pretty sure nobody is out to get me anyways. Hopefully tightVNC has several security setting & passwords. As far as I read, Tight VNC will work on windows.

Thanks for your help everyone.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 4th April, 2008, 04:11 PM

To be honest, if you have a choice of TightVNC or RDP(Remote Desktop) for Windows, then take the RDP option. It's faster, even over a LAN (and a bit more secure - RDP's encrypted and needs both a username and a password).

RDP was originally devised for Windows Terminal Servers, but MS quickly deployed it as Remote Desktop, allowing you to connect to a Windows machine and control it's desktop. If you look at "System Properties" and "Remote" under Windows XP, you can find the Remote Desktop settings. So, no, you don't have to be connecting to a server.

TightVNC doesn't offer any encryption other than for the initial password. Everything else is passed in plain text.
RDP encrypts most content with 128bit strength, although I don't know what crypto is being used.

Last edited by Áedán; 4th April, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 4th April, 2008, 05:11 PM
AOA Staff

That settles it for me.
I'll do Remote Desktop.
in Fedora 8 I can share my desktop in the remote desktop options but I don't know how to connect. I'll look into some online instructions on how to do this. Since I have 4 windows machines in a lan this will be great for those computers also.
I do like the functionality of Logmein though because I can help someone with their computer while they are watching. Remote Desktop won't do that, it will log them off first. Maybe thats why its faster?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 4th April, 2008, 06:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I could be mistaken, but I was thinking there was a way to do that with RDP. I may be thinking of the application sharing feature of MSN Messenger, though.
Old 9th April, 2008, 07:34 PM
AOA Staff

I've been reading alot about FreeNX and it looks like I need to have a server (connected to the internet) with the server files (client, node, server) and then I have to install the client files to each computer I want to connect to and connect from. They have a lot of technical information on the website for soooooooo many operating systems. Its was hard to find exactly what I wanted to know.
I installed the client to my Work (Windows XP Pro) system and the server files on my home (Fedora 8) system and couldn't figure out how to connect them. That is why you need a server running the NX service to connect my home and work together.
I don't have a server to install these files on. Well I do, but its not behind a firewall and its my work webserver.
The cool thing about logmein is that you connect to Logmeins' server and they connect you to your client computers. FreeNX doesn't seem to work that way. I would have to install/configure my own server to get my clients to connect.
There has to be an easier way.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 9th April, 2008, 07:41 PM
AOA Staff

NX Client
Quote:
The NX Client package contains libraries and binaries to set-up your NX system. In particular it provides the proxy components and libraries needed to establish the communication between the end-user machine and the remote machine you want to access.
Does this mean I don't need a server and my home is the "end-user" and my work is the "remote"?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Old 10th April, 2008, 03:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
NX Client

Does this mean I don't need a server and my home is the "end-user" and my work is the "remote"?
That would be my understanding.
Old 10th April, 2008, 04:12 PM
AOA Staff

Good. Then I just need to figure out how to connect with IP addresses and all.
When I do the wizard it asks for a host name (IP) and then you can later set it for Remote Desktop session and enter another IP address.
I'll mess with it trial by error.

If this doesn't do what I want then I may just keep using my Windows machine for Logmein and VPN. Then I'll do my surfing/downloading in Linux.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10