AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April, 2003, 09:25 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Can you send units from another machine?

Reason I ask is that since I managed to get gromacs working at home I've had to add a few more instances of FAH. I usually end up having to upload results first thing in the morning and about 6Pm at night.

The problem is that if its a 388 protein these things are like 1.4Mb which takes a long time to upload at about 31k, and an unreliable one at that. At the moment I've got about 8 WU's in the queue because of the connection dying. I know I could use -send all but that often gets kicked off as well. If I could take them into work I could upload them quickly and get rid of this annoying situation.

Has anybody tried to do this and if so what files would I need to copy, and in fact delete from my home boxes.
Old 4th April, 2003, 11:50 AM
Member/Contributer

Hmm, I've just formatted my hard drive, but I kept a copy of my entire FAH library, and it works fine... so you might be able to pull it off.. but I don't think I can recommend you do that. Chances are, something will go wrong and you will lose some work.
Old 4th April, 2003, 06:18 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

There's a few problems... but I'll share what I know. I use the console... multiple on certain machines. Without getting into details... I've done it. The way to accomplish this is to allow one machine to complete the WU, copy the entire folding directory to another machine... then run the exec from that machine. It uploads the completed WU and downloads a new one. Shut it down. Then you need to move back the entire folder back to the first machine... Let it crunch away.

The folder contains a few megs, so a floppy, even zipped would not cut it. If you have a laptop you can connect to a home network, data can be transfered easily.

Catch: if you are looking to use a business network for communications with F@H servers, internal firewalls may prove to be a burden... I can't help you there.
Old 4th April, 2003, 06:56 PM

Thanks SteveI
Well I've already got two machines at work folding so there's no difficulty from that point of view.
The only problem with copying everything, taking it in and up/down loading is losing about 12 hours production a day on my two main machines.
What I really need is a way of taking the queued units on my home machines, uploading them at work while still being able to download WU's at home to avoid down time.
I think I might just be asking too much

I think I'll post it across at stanford as well though, just in case.
Old 4th April, 2003, 09:31 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Hmm... I thought I responded but...

The files I know you will need to take back and forth are the queue.dat file and the work directory. Everything else I think is ok. THe way to do it then is troublesome only the first time... Zip up and span floppies of everything... probably 3-5 diskettes. Then whenever you want to move stuf, you can try moving just the work folder and the queue file. That might fit on one disk.

The queue.dat file contains current work information, and information about completed units I think, and the work folder is self-explanatory.
Old 5th April, 2003, 03:32 PM

Ahh, the penny just dropped, thanks again SteveI I'll try it on monday.
Old 5th April, 2003, 05:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

You could always use that newfangled device called a cd writer to just copy the whole F@H directory to another computer...