AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > General > ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team

ThunderRd's AOA FOLDING@HOME Team Where Protein Acrobats gather to change the world!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th July, 2004, 06:14 PM

Suggestions

OK, I'm out walking around the block as it were checking you guys (and others) out along the way.

You see, the forum recently changed its name as part of a business move and as a result, our DC teams need to change their names as well. Some aren't taking it well.

I'm fighting the temptation to change some of their Sig's to this:

http://www.rondagates.com//images/whiner.gif

Anyhoot . . . . .. . .

* I see y'all have a deal where one can donate parts to fellow Team folders. What about this? Have members donate hardware, have Team members (who meet prerequisites) put their names in a hat, and have Team mods/Admin select a HOST for said rig to run/support it for your Team. Call it Adopt-A-Rig err something. It works quite well and offers more involvement for the Team, more points for the Team as well as furthers the results of the project. I've developed a set of Host Rules that many Teams are taking up, and would be glad to share with y'all as well.

* Some of you, while surfing the www.folding-community.org, may have seen where some Teams have had members develop a promotional Folding video. While most have theirs geared toward promoting their Team specifically, some have made Non-Team Specific videos.

For example: (No pimping intended / Sound track included)

Folding for Our Future (Link) (Team specific)

Folding (Link) (NON-Team specific)

Perhaps some of your Team members who're handy with Flash coding could step up to the plate. It's an excellent means of explaining what folding is as well-as Team recruitment.

* Perhaps a Team member (or members) could regularly produce a Team newsletter that would speak of the new members, member milestones, advancements in the science/technology, etc. This could possibly be included in the forums main news page.

* Many Teams have had the more artistic of the lot, generate awards for those reaching notable milestones. Some Teams have had members die as a result of the diseases we're fighting, and as a result have developed Memorial Awards for a given milestone.

That's all I've got for now.

I hope I'm not coming on too strong for you guys. It wouldn't bother me one bit if y'all ripped up the ranks and passed us as that'd mean just that much more work is being accomplished, fighting diseases that afflict us all.

. . . .. ... Fold On!
Old 15th July, 2004, 08:34 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

I'm not sure the team is big enough for an Adopt A Rig program to work out.

The "hardware donation" seemed to be the best for the forum, but that may have changed?

Folks, I know BC from the Folding Frogs team (amd forums) and I can vouch for him. He's a very F@H oriented person, and has worked diligently for the good of the F@H program, and not just his own team.

I was a little surprised to find him visiting, but I shouldn't be, as I know he likes to roam F@H forums and groups (same as me).

I'm always willing to listen to any input from a fellow folder.
Registered Linux User #401179
Desktop- Mint 10 Julia, Mint 9 Isadora, PCLOS LXDE 2010.10, Flavor of the Day

Laptop- Windows 7 Premium, AMD Athlon II X2 P340, 250g Seagate HD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 4G DDR3 Ram, 15.6" HD LED LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2004, 08:35 PM

Another suggestion: Many Team members aren't really into all the competition what with the points and all, and simply want to fold for the cause. [Hold that thought]

While talking about the above mentioned, a Team member inadvertently mis-spelt the word Frog and produced The Forg

Thus The Forg was born. Not a sub-team perse, but a group of Team members who have chosen to fold Anonymously within the main Team.

It's worked out quite well for those involved and has become one of our strongest producers.

Just something else to think about.

Fold On!
Old 15th July, 2004, 09:42 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

You've got some good suggestions in there BC. I'll speak to ALan and see which we can get implemented. Like always it's a case of volunteers time.

Have you got a link for your host rules, or PM me a copy. If you want to email use my scottydod at yahoo.co.uk addy. LP might be right but there's never any harm in looking at new stuff.

Thanks

Love that GIF
Old 15th July, 2004, 09:59 PM

Host rules (Link)

NOTE: We're currently considering amending said rules to include a minimum age requirement of 18 years. This would help protect the forum (primary concern), aid in chasing down, and take legal action against those who run off with said rig(s).

Also note, A fellow Team: Short/Media, has found it to their advantage to have each host sign and return a written contract before any parts are sent. Not sure of the details there. We may follow suit. Of their twenty (20) some rigs in the field, they've unfortunately had three (3) disappear. With said mentioned contract, I 'spect those hosts are in deep doodoo.
Old 15th July, 2004, 10:19 PM

Before I forget, the non-team specific vid........

Our good friends at Short/Media have been very accommodating in allowing other teams to use their vid. All one has to do is ask. mmonnin, muddocktor their folding forum mods, General Keebler super mod, and shorty big cheese. They're all good folks.

Just give them a shout, perhaps mention I sent ya, and I'm more than sure they'll give you their blessings to run with it.

Perhaps y'all could allow it to be included in your Team Sig's as well so to increase interest till y'all could develop one of your own.
Old 15th July, 2004, 10:33 PM

Thanks BC, I'll have a look at that later on.
Old 16th July, 2004, 10:00 AM
Member/Contributer

Thank you very much for your input BC (Can we call you that?), I've thought about some of the same things myself a while ago, this is probably a good time to re-think.

* Somewhat we are already giving out awards for milestones. See the salamander in our badges in here?

* The flash video idea - I love it! One I have not thought about myself. I'll see if there are any flash-gurues in here.

* Adopt-a-rig, as seen on other forums. We have already had people giving away their computers for fellow folders in here. (Kat gave away 2 folding rigs). A program like you propose will not be easy to manage I think, and the risk involved is one I personally don't want to take. But if someone else wants it, we can talk about it.

* Newsletter: Not a bad idea. I dropped the idea because I'm not sure it would attract more people to the team, and because the posts in the folding section really cover all aspects well. However, if there is enough interest for a newsletter, it could be done.

* The Forg: An anonymous AOA account could be fine, if anyone have interest in joining.

Again, thank you very much for your input - it is GREATLY appreciated. I'll take all your input into account.
Old 16th July, 2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
* The flash video idea - I love it! One I have not thought about myself. I'll see if there are any flash-gurues in here.
On that note, was surfing around those boys in Short/Media this morning and found where thrax (S/M member) apparently got bored, and got busy with a Swish program. Says he whooped this up pretty quick:

Forever Young (Link) (NON-Team specific promotional video).

I know diddly-squat as to how these things are made, but they make it sound fairly easy in the right hands.

Perhaps one could call the anonymous group: SilentSalamandersofAOA or SilentSalamander_45

While we call our group The Forg, the user-name they run with is Forg_Species_734 (a take off of Star Treks ~ The Borg). The point I'm making here is, that group is our strongest producer. With that, they've ripped up the world wide ranks and while only 57[sup]th[/sup] at the moment, they've been in the top 20. That puts them in the front page of most stats. In folks face. And the 734 tag make folks aware as to where they're from.
The suggested name above (or something like it), amounts to free advertisement for your Team.

The newsletter thing, you'd be surprised how many read such. I've been lurking here for almost a year now prior to registering. As I type this (7:00am EST/US), there's three members (myself included), and two guests looking.
One wouldn't necessarily have to do it one a week. Perhaps once a month. You can include things like: (p1) The latest Team news, such as RM1's farm project, EM-lll's update notices, major announcements from the Pande-Group, etc. (p2) Team member milestones ~ Just copy and paste from EOC's stats (that's what I do). (p3) My favorite: Weird Science. Again, just copy and paste from folding-community's science section (with appropriate links and props). And finally (p4) Links and Stuff. A repetitive copy of links directly associated with your Team. Links to Team stats, F@H server status, F@H current project summery, etc.

Do a Google for "The Lilypad Register" and use that as a reference format. Copy the poopoo out of it, I don't mind.

Call yours "The Salamander Sentinel" err something.

I gotta go pee.

Talk with you guys later. And I thank you for the warm welcome.

Fold On!

BC
Old 20th July, 2004, 09:13 PM

I did a search over at the www.folding-community.org forum, and couldn't find y'all.

One of you needs to go the to those forums, and go to the Folding Team board (down at the bottom). Start a thread with your Team name and number in the title.

The body should be of a welcome and introduction to your Team.

Free Team advertisement.
Old 20th July, 2004, 11:36 PM

It's a kinda quiet thread

http://www.folding-community.org/vie...5466ad53dca3d7
Old 20th July, 2004, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Oops! cool.
Old 21st July, 2004, 08:59 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Why hang out there, if we can hang out here???

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 06:12 AM

Sooooooo . . . . . . . . if someone were to bump it, it'd be back on the front page there for Team/Forum advertisement.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes, but we would have to be subtle about it, overt action is dangerous! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:23 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

We need a crack team undertake this mission

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 22nd July, 2004, 11:56 AM

Phew, made it
Old 22nd July, 2004, 01:51 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

in and out safely?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Old 25th July, 2004, 10:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Seems so!
Old 25th July, 2004, 08:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What's this thread about, I forget?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic