Forum latest

Armor Case Mod - Page 4
Written by Booman   
Friday, 29 August 2008 22:00
Article Index
Armor Case Mod
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
All Pages

 

Image

The window is cut and edges are smoothed out after hours of filing.  Thinking "What could be more WWII than some rivets holding the metal together?", II searched for screws and rivets at hardware stores and found that they were too expensive, too large and too heavy. I didn't want to invest in a rivet gun even though I would probably use it again, as I just didn't have the money. I even searched online for rivets and screws but found nothing worth using. Then I was at JoAnn's fabric & crafts store and figured I would look around. I came across these little black plastic stuffed animal eyes (you know, the ones you pulled off your sisters bear when you were little?). They were perfect! At one dollar a shot for six eyes, I ended up using eighty of them. Once I purchased them, I began measuring where each hole would be so they were evenly spaced. After that I chose a drill bit large enough for the back of each rivet to fit in, then drilled away.

Image

After every hole was drilled on the panel I had to file off the metal shavings and remains. All the scratches and marks will be covered by primer & paint.

Image

After some primer and sanding I did a "dry fit" to see how it looked. I'm happy with the results.

Image

To cut the blow-hole I needed to measure a square large enough to fit a 80mm fan through it and still allow room for DVDs & Power Supply. After measuring and marking it up with pencil, I drilled four large holes big enough to fit a jigsaw blade through. Then I cut out the rest of the square. Not always so pretty after the jigsaw, but nothing a file can't fix. Finally, I topped it off with some primer & sanding.

 



 
Don't Click Here Don't Click Here Either